cam chain idler removal/inspection

addison

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys , i just have a couple of questions. I am going after the cam chain guide on my 72 , but i am suspicious of the idler as well. Once i have the motor out can i get at the guide with out breaking the chain ? and to get a look at the idler do i have to remove the pistons.I dont have a tool to compress the rings and was hoping there was a work around.I have never cracked a motor open before so any suggestions would be helpful.
peace

you can inspect the tensioner (at the back) with just the head off. To replace it, you must lift the jugs to get at the bolts at the bottom.

You can replace the guide (at the front) with the jugs still on.

If you take the jugs off, do yourself a favour and replace the rings. Or you could do as XSJohn does, and lift the jugs high enough to *just* clear the wrist pin, then pull the wrist pin leaving the rings seated where they've been. It takes a bit of talent to do it that way though.

- you have an XS2?...these and the later XS1B had the same front guides as the later models, so no problem there
- would be tempted to replace the chain too-if you do, make sure you get the 0.3061in pitch chain for the earlier 34 tooth cam sprocket
- you may however have a problem finding a new 'idler', yours is the 6 bolt version wheel tensioner-earlier were 4 bolt, these were changed to the pivot arm in 74...you could check ebay for NOS parts, i saw someone post a link for vintage parts here but cant find it at the moment

516.jpg

thanks Sundie , I may have mixed up the terminology my manual shows something they are calling a idler which lives between the pistons and lower in relation to tensioner. I didn't
see a replacement part at mikes xs, is that what you are referring to ? I get you about the rings but i am afraid of screwing things up , less to take off less to mess up. I may have to rethink my logic.. Johns way sounds excellent but if it's tricky it may be less work for me to go the other way.
thanks
peace

- you have an XS2?...these and the later XS1B had the same front guides as the later models, so no problem there
- would be tempted to replace the chain too-if you do, make sure you get the 0.3061in pitch chain for the earlier 34 tooth cam sprocket
- you may however have a problem finding a new 'idler', yours is the 6 bolt version wheel tensioner-earlier were 4 bolt, these were changed to the pivot arm in 74...you could check ebay for NOS parts, i saw someone post a link for vintage parts here but cant find it at the moment

516.jpg

thanks , yep that is my tensioner , I suspected that it may be hard to find a idler as i didn't see it at mikes . I dont know if it needs replacement but i thought i should look while i am in there.
peace

That one, you should be able to replace without lifting the jugs, i think.

However, scarcity of the part... If it seems to be okay once you have it out inspecting it... I'd just put it back in.

- the bolt pattern is certainly the same, not sure about the interchangeability as ive never tried it, nor known anyone who has

Hurm. It would be a last ditch option. Given that the bolt pattern internally is the same, and the plunger bolt patter is the same (which is almost certainly is)... It should work.

Addison: just thinking out loud. Until i hear someone say "i did it, it worked", it's an experiment, but one you might want to keep in mind if your tensioner is totally done in.

- the whole system gets even more complicated once you discover there are 5 different variations of cam chain tensioner

Interchanging cam change dampners...... the part numbers for the barrels might tell something...wonder if the cases for mounting the newer dampner is different ....?.........I'm to lazy tonight to look.......xsjohn

- the thicker 74-75 outer plate can be changed for the thinner later plate but you still have a problem with the length of dampener...the later thinner plate models have differences in the adjusting mechanism, as seen by the cover nuts, but the dampeners are the same length

- doesnt help here though

thanks guys , I really appreciate the help. It sounds I should keep my fingers crossed that mine is still ok.I just got home(midnight here ), I should be able to get to tearing it down on sunday.If all goes well the next question i will post is how to get it back together.lol
peace
It is nice to be able to get a answer from some one who has done this before , i am starting to feel like when i am done i wont be left with three bolts in a bag wondering where they were supposed to go.

To your "bolts in a bag" point, invest in freeze grade baggies. And store/label as you go. Makes things a zillion times easier putting it back together.

If an official select information is not appropriate for your estimate for any purpose, we would for ever and a day recommend a variety of example that is hefty to provide importance to the a good number unnecessary items, what's more with regards to quantity or assessment.:wink2:

The customary function of enlightening institution. From Sept 2005 the examination pattern concentrated to every three years with a two-day scrutinize period, the question paper usually long-lasting two to three days.:wink2:

Here we seem to be at some of the commencement requirements to construct sure you get a nice beginning to your examination process.the approved information for those organizations using a quality question paper for loss assessment requirements when food has been broken on the thoroughfare.

Back