Cam chain tensioner with 750 kit

skyhawk04kilo

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a 750cc kit from MikesXS. On the back of the cylinders, it has just a round threaded hole for the cam chain tensioner. The old cylinders have a rectangular plate that the cam chain tensioner assembly bolts to with 6 bolts. Is there anything special that I need to do or just use the threaded tensioner bolt without the 6-hole plate?

Yes, You just screw your adjuster in the hole. Doing it this way eliminates one place for oil to leak.

The tensioner is supposed to be turned in until the pushrod is flush with the end of the adjuster. My problem is that the pushrod gets flush too far out, so the 22mm nut that covers the end of the tensioner isn't deep enough to reach all the way to the plate at the back of the cylinder. There is about a 1/2" gap with just exposed threads from the tensioner. I haven't torqued down the head yet. Will torquing it down compress the gaskets enough to make enough slack in the cam chain to turn the adjuster in all the way? I could see a little bit, but this thing has a lot of room to go to get the tensioner far enough in for the nut / cap to meet the plate on the cylinders. If this doesn't make sense, I can get a picture.

The tensioner is supposed to be turned in until the pushrod is flush with the end of the adjuster. My problem is that the pushrod gets flush too far out, so the 22mm nut that covers the end of the tensioner isn't deep enough to reach all the way to the plate at the back of the cylinder. There is about a 1/2" gap with just exposed threads from the tensioner. I haven't torqued down the head yet. Will torquing it down compress the gaskets enough to make enough slack in the cam chain to turn the adjuster in all the way? I could see a little bit, but this thing has a lot of room to go to get the tensioner far enough in for the nut / cap to meet the plate on the cylinders. If this doesn't make sense, I can get a picture.
7 and a 1/2 years later, did you solve your problem?

I suppose so! I finished the resto-mod in 2010, rode it for about 1000 miles and then life got in the way. I still have the bike, but it's been about 3 years since I've even started the engine, and longer since it's been ridden. Unfortunately, I don't recall the exact solution to this problem if that's what you're looking for!

15151866088_df9b3d2205_o.jpg

Back