cam chain

kbtoy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The trick to getting. The new chain over the spocket. I know you pry on the chain..Some pics would help.Thanks

don't put the bearings on cam, dont install the tensioner adjuster, then try to slide the cam gear under the chain. It is a little easier from one side than the other. that should do it.
I have read that some chains are so tight they are slightly tightening down the head to gain enought room. I have never had to do that personally

I had to do everything iamcarbon suggested including torquing down the head and then it was still tough, its definitely easier from one side... i struggled for almost an hour and thought i was going to have to give up at one point ... it was the single hardest part of my rebuild, and Ive got a rephase and 707cc with JE pistons etc etc etc... but the cam chain, man that was a real bitch. stay with it dont lose your cool it WILL go.

good luck

i seem to remember yelling happy gilmore lines at my engine at one point "thats your home! what are you to good for your home?!! ANSWER ME!!"

i thiink it helped..

I did one the other day on the '78's engine.
There's not much room in the cam chain tunnel for both the cam chain and the cam wheel to sit side by side so the trick is to slide the cam in from the left side of the engine with the protruding , non toothed section of the cam leading in. Get the chain resting on that protruding section before the teeth.
Now start the chain onto the teeth from the front, working it to the rear and keeping the chain tension tight in the front working the slack to the rear.
Once the chain is mostly on the teeth you can turn the crank of the engine to get the chain onto those last few teeth. Once the chain is on, get a bearing on both sides of the cam, turn the camchain tensioner in a bit and re-check your timing marks. If everything still lines up put the remaining bearings on and center the cam chain/wheel in the cam chain tunnel with the bearings totally pushed in from both sides.

Now you can button her up with no worries about her being a tooth off.

Last edited:
Back