cam guide NOT AVAILABLE anywhere?

If someone could get one to me with everything present, I'd like to look into re-lining them whth a better material.
Let me know if this is possible.

Dang. I tossed my bad one out with a lot of other aluminum stuff I took to recycle. Yeah, I'm 'green'. :laugh: By the way, here's what the Mercedes pieces look like:

5Z2PV.jpg

Looks like a roll your own delrin guide probably could be done with a bandsaw and files. there's actually quite a bit of room in the tunnel, wouldn't have to be very fancy with the shape of the back White Delrin/Acetal 1.75" X 2" 9.375"

rectangular block on fleabay shipped for $19.00 big enough to make 2 guides.

I think these could be made crom nylon 66 or Delrin, as mentioned above. I'd have to look at the temperature stability, but as far as wear, both are harder than woodpecker lips, but still have lubricating properties. They have shore hardness approaching, and exceeding, some aluminum alloys.

Delrin is an old plastic. I think engineering plastics have come a long way since then. Delrin is similar to or maybe even just a brand name for nylon.

IIRC Delrin and nylon are similar but have different water absorption properties. Nylon will absorb a lot of water, Delrin won't IIRC. I made some suspension bushings from Delrin a while back and discovered it 'pounds out' pretty easily. Of course, just like metals, there are different plastic 'alloys' available.

The shape is pretty simple, the hardest part (to me) would be putting some metal blocks in for the mounting bolts. I don't think either plastic would hold threads very well. I would think something like a tab base weld nut would work:
150px-Slab_base_weld_nut.png

McMaster has them in metric. http://www.mcmaster.com/#weld-nuts/=hl8yto

1) Identify need
b) Make part
*) ???

Answer: PROFIT!!!! :)

Last edited:
The thermal stability would probably be the biggest issue. Delrin was used extensively in aircraft in the 60's and seems to work good. Nylon 66 is excellent material. I am not that familiar with polypropelyne.
The Nylon 66 will thread well with great retention characteristics, But as an engine internal, I would seek a method of secondary retention. I'd really like to work on this. I hate it when the only thing available for a failed part is the same part, destined to fail again.

A maker of conveyor chain guides mentions that their Delrin etc. inserts are held in metal retaining channels to better deal with thermal expansion. One of their "plastic" insert materials was rated to 275 F

Stainless and Galvanized Mounting Channels Sold Separately
All of these chain guides are available in several grades of UHMW: black repro - for lower cost; oil-filled UHMW for higher speed and reduced re-lubrication costs; green repro which matches the European guides; static-dissipative for conduction purposes; and HT for high temperatures up to 275°F.

chainguide.jpg

from here
I agree a plastic insert in a metal [_] channel curved with nuts welded on the back. with the bottom end closed so the insert slides in from above.

In an engine being run to test out reliablility, prototypes it might just be possible to cut an "insertion port" in the head cover to enable easy extraction insertion and check on wear of the front guide.

I know in my industry we don't use Delrin because it cannot stand up to the heat (and possibly chemicals) in the sterilization process, but the Polypro does. A coworker made a derlin dental caddy once to find it melted glob after the autoclave test.

I think Delrin is good because it has a low coefficient of friction and is resistant to abrasion.

Just a thought but wouldn't PTFE or Teflon work . Lowest coefficient of drag in plastics and i think the rated temps are in the 500 degree range. I'm no expert though. I'm just like everyone else here google searching high temp oil resistant plastics to keep their bike running this summer.

According to this website Teflon is softer than Delrin so it's shouldn't chip but I'm not a chemist or have any real world experience with either. I thought it might be too soft but I found out the old 6x6's use them for their chain tensioners and they are open to the elements not oil bathing. Hmm, if I only had a mill....

Not trying to take away from the discussion of someone making their own guide, but I have been calling motorcycle shops within about a 2 hour radius of me looking to see if anyone had a guide that was in stock. I kept getting the same answer 'we dont have any in stock, and the part is on back order.' I called a place near Minneapolis, MN and the guy said the Yamaha warehouse he orders from in Milwaukee has 2 in stock. I don't know much about parts supplying, but How many Yamaha warehouses can there be in the MN/WI area? Why did the other parts dealers say it was on back order? :umm: I assume most of them probably get their parts from the same Milwaukee warehouse, or am I incorrect? I don't want to place another order to only find out again that I am out of luck

Rogue21,
Some shops seem to be able to access a part locater database that others don't/won't.
I've had the best luck finding parts at dealerships that don't seem to be part of that network. How many did you contact?
I'm glad yall are taking an interest. The gray cloud above my head says Mama Yama is going to say SOL. We aren't interested in making 5000 guides it will take 3 yrs to sell. Mikes may truly corner the market on this item.

The gray cloud above my head says Mama Yama is going to say SOL. We aren't interested in making 5000 guides it will take 3 yrs to sell. Mikes may truly corner the market on this item.

I think JBM industries is an example as a argument for making an alternative product and making it viable, and how many carb rebuilds are being done compared to reconditioned and reconstituted engines. Just have to look how fast Mikes sells out on parts now compared to a couple of years ago.

If an alternative product can be made successfully, then marketing at a time when the suppliers are out of stock, (like now how long has it been, and how long will it take to restock), will take the market by storm. and they won't get it back.

I guess it comes down to how long you think the XS650 fad lasts

Back