Camshaft play

I don't think you quite understand what's going on with the camshaft. When the camshaft is assembled, inner bearings must be seated all the way to the stops on the camshaft, outer bearings must be seated all the way against the inner bearings, and the distance from the edge of the outer bearing to the outer edge of the bearing journal (seat) in the head must be equal on both sides--don't trust your eyeballs, use the depth probe of a caliper to measure.

When the fasteners are torqued down, the head cover will hold the bearings and thus the camshaft in position, and side play will not be detectable unless the bearings are well and truly shot.

Thanks for the reply. Bearings were seated all the way and measurement was taken with the probe end of a caliper. I just needed to know if play was normal. Previous searches turned up a reply from 5twins stating 2mm of side to side play was ok and I was searching for confirmation.

I have approximately 2mm of play but I have been chasing down a ticking which seems to be coming from a persistent loose exhaust valve.

Trying to look at any/all pisibilities.

Posted via Mobile

I don't recall saying cam side to side play was OK, advance rod in the cam maybe, but not the cam itself. The advance rods all have some side to side play, some too much. Some of the replacements from Mikes have been found to have excess side play. You can shim the rod if need be to reduce the play.

My mistake 5twins. It was the advance rod you wrote about. And as it turns out, my advance rod has the movement, not the camshaft. So that bit seems ok. I'm just trying to rule out as much as possible with my continued loose/ticking exhaust valve.

Posted via Mobile

Have you pulled the valve adjuster screw out and looked at its tip? They get all beat up and that can make getting an accurate reading on the feeler gauge difficult. You may be setting that loud valve larger than you think.

Sure have. I've even trien new elephant adjusters and put the stock ones back in. The noise keeps coming back.

Posted via Mobile

Are you sure it is valve noise and not that the front cam chain guide is shot or the cam chain is out of adjustment? Just a quick thought, I could be way off base here but sometimes it can be a little difficult to diferentiate between the 2.

Almost completely certain it's valves. Cam chain guide was replaced two years ago and my right side exhaust valve always reads too large of a gap after just a couple rides.

Posted via Mobile

You know the wear isn't occurring at the valve face; that would cause the valve to tighten. You know wear isn't occurring at the tip of the valve stem; it would be cupped. You know it isn't the adjuster itself; you've swapped the adjuster out and the problem continued. What's left is the rocker, the rocker shaft, and the cam.

Back