Can anyone roughly identify these tire sizes?

goodgollyjosh

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I like this look and I assume that the wheels are 21 in the front and 18 in the rear but wasn't sure about tire size. Thanks for the help guys.

IMG_0178-1.jpg

Looks to me like the rear is a 16x3 and the front is a 21x2.15
On an 18" rear wheel the tire will not have that much sidewall.

Ok, I picked up some tires online last night. A 300S21 Avon speedmaster for the front and a 450-18 Firestone for the rear. If I understand correctly, the proper wheel for the front will be a 21x1.85? I will not be running a front brake, but I do have the stock '79 xs650 forks, similar to the one pictured. I have heard that a Harley hub will work? I don't mind lacing the wheel incase nothing is available in completed form. As for the rear wheel does anyone know off hand what the proper rim width might be for the rear tire listed? I will be running an 18 spoke drum outback. I did a search last night and was not able to turn up much. Also, if someone knows of a thread I should have read already just post it and I will be happy to do the homework. I know it frustrates people when the info is already out there. Thanks again guys!

A 4.50 tire should be mounted on a 2.50" or 2.75" rim.
18 spokes sounds improbable, is it not really a 36 spoke?

You are correct I mis-spoke. Thanks for the info on the rim for the rear, this is helpful. Regarding the front, I don't have my forks in front of me, but what is the axle diameter, I see there has been some discussion in the past regarding metric to standard conversion for Harley hub. I never really found out if 3/4" axle will work or not. Thanks!

Thanks Toomany, according to the chart a 2.5 rim for the rear should work nicely. I see on Mikesxs.com that they have a 18x2.5 36 spoke wheel and list stainless spokes for an "18 inch drum". The wording kind of threw me for a loop, I assume they mean a drum set up for an 18" wheel?

Wow, kinda lost me there. The eBay listing shows an XS1 front drum and brake plate, which normally is laced to a 1.85"w - 19" rim. You're wanting to put this on the rear? ???

Ahh nuts! I messed up on that one. I will have to see if I can get out of it, already won the darn auction. If not, I guess I can always re-sell it. I honestly didn't realize it was for the front. Thanks for the heads up.

yeah at 200 bucks, i doubt it thats a great price for the seller. itll cost you another 500 to get it in wheel shape. unless you know how to build them yourself. good luck though. if you must buy it and cant sell it you may be able to trade if for something neat in the classified section,

the only harley front hub that will work with your stock forks/axle is a drum brake hub from a 64-72 sporty, but since you are running brakeless that isnt going to work

Ok, the seller was very understanding and let me out of the transaction. If anyone knows where I could pick up a rear drum, let me know. I will keep my eyes open and I will check the classifieds here...often. In the mean time, since no Harley hub will work on the front, what hub are guys using with no front brake? I was looking for something small and clean like the one on the picture at the top of this thread. Thanks

if you are willing to spend that much on building a wheel, you should looking into turning an axle down or having one made for you. it will cost so much less. and if you go the harley route up front make sure its the full drum. some of the cb750 used a rear 20mm axle as well.

Back