Can someone tell me more about these marks?

vr3506

vr3506
Reaction score
image.jpg

That's a picture of the State of California. Why they've been stamped on the case? I can only imagine.
Might have to do with their need to have their reppresive, grimy fingers in everything related to fossil fuels re: air quality.
"California tumbles into the sea,
that'll be the day I go back to Annandale."
Now I'll bite me tongue.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, California required a full 17 (?) digit VIM instead of Yamaha's 9 - 10 digit VIN. What's your VIN look like?

If I remember correctly, California required a full 17 (?) digit VIM instead of Yamaha's 9 - 10 digit VIN. What's your VIN look like?
I bought these here in Netherlands on an auction. There is no number in these enginecases.They are used cases, i looked very carefully if it had signs of removing an original number. This is not the case. These are XS1 parts.

Attachments

• 25CABBD1-D479-44D1-8365-6A594AB83512.jpeg
    25CABBD1-D479-44D1-8365-6A594AB83512.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 30227833-548B-4802-A53A-AB861772987E.jpeg
    30227833-548B-4802-A53A-AB861772987E.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

That’s only if the vehicle was produced after it was required by federal law.

I have all my bikes registered with original vins.

I’m California all my life, I’ve never seen that stamp on any old or new vehicle/motor I’ve come across.

California compliant vehicles/motor would come with a C.A.R.B. Compliant label. Which is only required on vehicles/motors produced after the restrictions went into law, it’s not a retro active thing.

I lived in CA when my car had to go to "the shed" (emissions test facility) every year for emmissions testing. I had to advance the hell out of the ignition to get it to idle below 900 rpm every year and the technicians never recognized a radical ignition system, a big Weber carb or the Tii exhaust header on my stockish looking '76 2002. they would have had to do a NASCAR tear down to discover 10;1 pistons, lightened flywheel, lumpy cam and some port work. It was a very custom motor that I should not have parted with.

I lived in CA when my car had to go to "the shed" (emissions test facility) every year for emmissions testing. I had to advance the hell out of the ignition to get it to idle below 900 rpm every year and the technicians never recognized a radical ignition system, a big Weber carb or the Tii exhaust header on my stockish looking '76 2002. they would have had to do a NASCAR tear down to discover 10;1 pistons, lightened flywheel, lumpy cam and some port work. It was a very custom motor that I should not have parted with.

You and many others haha

75 is the cut off for emissions requirements.

I did it a few times with my old CJ7 before I swapped it to throttle body injector.

Yamaha changed the Vin to 17 digits. Around 81 i think. My Canadian 83 has 17 digits. Hard to read but they are there.

Not the original Vin plate, had to get it re-plated but they have to use the original no off original plate. Original plate is still on there

IMG_7864 crop hpn arcoft 17 didgit vin copyright.jpg

My Canadian 83 ha 17 digits. Hard to read but they are there

Back