Can this 1981 XS 650 really have just 11 miles on it?

chizler, this Yamaha was not found in a box, and shows signs of wear way more than eleven miles.
Those stories about dealers squirreling away bikes do happen. I think about 5 years ago, a guy in Italy had 10 vincents still in boxes.

Local honda dealer here has an rc51 still in a crate. That's a good bike to squirrel away. The best of japan's efforts to thwart ducatis Vtwinnery on the race track.

Holy cow - you guys are good. I noticed a couple the things you all mentioned but I am glad I asked!

So he has 2 bikes, the other is an 1983 Heritage special with "1,750" miles. He is asking $4,500 for the two, or $2,500 for the 1980!! Uh, don't think so :laugh: Maybe I'll forward this thread and offer him $250 :bike:

the guys full of crap.. Get the dot number off the tire, and figure and the neck tag is in enrish...Sounds like a fishy story, too.

Yeah I'm coming around to that conclusion too :laugh:

...It's a rusty restoration or chop up candidate...anything between 0 and 10,000 miles is all about the same as far as value for a bike you plan to ride...There was a for real titled 79 SPII here in Wisconsin with 7 or 70 miles on and sold for about $300... I picked up a 79 special this summer in better shape than that one, 5000 miles, no title $200...

Thanks for straightening me out - Im so conditioned to equating low miles to higher value from buying cars...

Hi JayR, the US model speedo that sez ~11miles on it still has a bright red 55+ band which says it ain't been out in the sun much. Apart from that, never trust nobody!...I'd advise not paying a premium for the alleged low mileage.

Hey Fredintoon - yes like most BS, bad turds tend to float to the surface and i believe this one qualifies.

Pretty dirty kicker for only that many miles.......the way the horn is rusting shows me that it has taken a few stones in its time also

Was thinking the same thing AG, my brother taught me to always look at the brake pedal on a car to see if the wear jibes with the mileage...ain't jibing.

Right carb rear outside screw. The boot for the neutral switch wire? Like Gary said a rusty rider at best.

I saw the neutral terminal, looks like it was just purchased at the Marine Supply store. Keen observation on the carb screw, dang!

Give away will be the year codes on the tyres. I don't know what the year codes should be but that's one clue...

JB funny he said they are the original tires which they would have to be to support the story. I asked him for pics of the codes assuming they are there and he didn't send any. Hmmm.

The frame no corresponds with a US 80SG and the seat, (although it can be replaced), is an 80SG one year only styled seat.

Looking at the tower between the Gauges shows not a hint of any decal and the bezel on the Taco looks to old for the low mileage.

(New Green, Mikes), manifold gaskets. Carbs have been off recently. those headers have had some heat through them as well. If hes prepared to lie about that then don't believe a word he has to say. Seller is pulling your leg

Yes my bad, he did label it as a 1980, but your other points are like an episode of "Columbo" - dead to rights. Thanks Skull650.

...At this point, if it doesn't have a title, walk away.
At 11 miles, the rings never seated in(assuming the story is true, Wich most of us have our doubts.)

Affirmative. Thanks Angus :D

All depends what the price is, I'd buy it for 200, not buy for 2K and would think about it somewhere in between. What's the asking price?

JB - yeah so $2,500 :doh: I guess if it had 100 miles and wasn't a rusty mess, in showroom condition. But then where's the fun in that right? I'll stick with my current 1982 Resto-modification. Plenty of bits and bolts to spend my money on there...

Boy, some good eyes here. Add to that:The wear lines on the brake rotors, too much for 11 miles. Carb manifold clamps. Spark plug wires, normally that short? Clutch cable not routed under tank. Case bolthead between oil fill port and neutral detent, too clean. Could also examine high maintenance access screws/bolts, signs of usage/rounding.

Ditto with 650Skull, gggGary, Angus67, and others on value...

Thanks TwoMany...I'm grateful to you and the others for taking some time to help me out. I truly appreciate it. I've been learning from you all since April, and all of your advice has been what keeps me working on my project - which is a boat load of fun. :)

Missing the key slot cover on the ignition switch.

Now you're scaring me...

Lots of things mentioned and good calls on all.
I'll add.....Any buggering on the neck bearing/steering adjustment nuts?

I think the whole things buggered! I should write up a list of all of this and send an email with "just a couple a questions" :laugh:

To my eye, in the last pic the fender appears to be bent to the side or the fork legs are twisted in the tree. Something tells me this a "walk away" or maybe a $200 parts bike at best.

++ Roy and MAcMcMac. Maybe this is the one with the body on it too....ugh.:yikes:

FWIW there's two brothers that own the Honda dealerships in Albany NY. They have been leaving bikes in creates since mid 70's

Hey Chizler and Angus - maybe one day I'll find one of those. BUT THIS AIN'T IT!! :bike: Thanks again boys. Very impressive.

Jay

even if you find a crated relic, it would be worse than one that had been kept running all these years. the gaskets and seals would be dried out, any oil would have turned to sludge, needing though cleanout thru all passage ways. And bearings that sit for a very long time can go flat. And that's just the motor. Brakefluid turns to jelly, grease turns into peanut butter.
I'de rather have a 50,000 mile bike than a un-used one.
Although, there are exceptions to any rule. Ide trade my two bikes for a crated, unassembled Vincent. Ide just look at it all day. because it wouldn't be worth rebuilding it to ride.

hand him your telephone number, and tell him to call when he settles for 1000$
I think parts alone for the two are worth 500$ each.

At the bottom right of this post there's a page 2 of 2<1 2
Click on the 1 and it should take you to page 1 of this post where the pictures are.
If that doesn't work then close out of this site and then open it up again.....might have to sign in as a member to see the pics.
Welcome aboard!

update your browser. But minesup to date and on occasion, I get the small box with the x in it.

The frame no corresponds with a US 80SG and the seat, (although it can be replaced), is an 80SG one year only styled seat.

Looking at the tower between the Gauges shows not a hint of any decal and the bezel on the Taco looks to old for the low mileage.

New Green, Mikes), manifold gaskets. Carbs have been off recently. those headers have had some heat through them as well.
If hes prepared to lie about that then don't believe a word he has to say. Seller is pulling your leg

Set of 78/79 Gauges and tower, (US), with over 15000 Miles i picked up.
Will guages fit on 81 special?

Hi Michael,
yes, the gauges in Skull's photo will fit an '81 Special.
FYI most any XS series round gauges after mid '70s will fit and read correctly.
XS750/850/11 speedos have different speed markings and XS750/850 tachs have different redlines.
XS11 tachs are electric and are not compatible.

I thought i sent you a PM.

Yes the gauges will fit your 80G Special II. It will be a US import with 80Mph max and the red line from 55mph, they weren't an Oceania model.

The tower on your bike will have the Neutral light, (green), headlight fail light, (white), and indicator light, (orange). The rev counter has the high beam light.

The Gauges in my pic are from a 78/79 Special and 79 Special II models. The tower has Indicator (orange), headlight fail, (white), and a Brake/tail-light failure warning light, (red).
The Rev counter has the High beam and Neutral light.

Any set of Gauges from 76-83 will mount on your gauge bracket. Just the color of the faces and some needles were different on the 76-78 Standards.

79 Standards had the same gauges as the 78/79 Specials/Special II.

PM me if your interested, I have a set i'd look at selling. Actually i have an XS400 Speedo that is in Klm that goes up to 180klh, with the same Face and needle to suit your gauge set up

Back