Can this 1981 XS 650 really have just 11 miles on it?

JayR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
May I ask the collective forum members to cast a discriminating eye on these pictures? You gotta read this.

I am considering buying this bike, it has an interesting background and somewhat incredible mileage claim. The seller says that this 1981 has 11 original miles on it and the odometer is correct.

He's selling two Bikes, the other's a 1983 Heritage Sp, and he recently acquired both bikes. Not sure how, I need to clarify that. But this is the story:

In the early 80's The original owner's friend bought 2 bikes overseas in Japan and shipped them back. He has the original shipping papers, but not the title for the 1981. Immediatly after the bikes arrived, the friend was killed in a MC accident. So the owner of the 1981 never rode the motorcycle as a result. A replacement title is in process with the state.

There is a good haze of rust on the bike, but sitting in damp storage for 34 years might do that?

The owner seems like a good guy, but I don't know him other than a phone conversation and some email exchanges. I am waiting for the new title to arrive to him before inspecting in person - but what do you think?

full

full

full

full

full

full

July of this year I too bought a 1981 XS650 Special that has 7,000 miles on and it sat in a garage for 30 years. So if could be possible that the owner died before riding the bike. Good luck. BTW, not a bad looking bike:thumbsup:

the guys full of crap. Get the dot number off the tire, and figure out how old it is, and I don't really know about this, but if it was a real jdm bike, wouldn't the speedo be in km?
and the neck tag is in enrish. Wouldn't it make more sense to at least have the neck tag in Japanese so that the inspector could read it? id ont know if the engrish language version was made just for jdm, or all of them, just throwing that out there. Sounds like a fishy story, too.

"The how he got it" story doesn't matter and neither does the "incredible low miles. It's a rusty restoration or chop up candidate, probably with a few things like stuck rings and leaky seals. IMHO anything between 0 and 10,000 miles is all about the same as far as value for a bike you plan to ride. There was a for real titled 79 SPII here in Wisconsin with 7 or 70 miles on it that went on craigslist and sold for about $300 it went to Chicago and got chopped, the take off parts were on here for a while. I picked up a 79 special this summer in better shape than that one, 5000 miles, no title $200 It's such a hassle to title here in Wisconsin that it's a donor bike. Story was it was in his grandparents barn, drug addled uncle left it there and he more or less disappeared. That motor went in a titled bike and runs great.

Hi JayR,
the US model speedo that sez ~11miles on it still has a bright red 55+ band which says it ain't been out in the sun much.
If the original purchaser bought the bike in Japan the dealer most likely advised him to get the US model for easier US registration.
Apart from that, never trust nobody!
Looks like an easy salvage but I'd advise not paying a premium for the alleged low mileage.

Pretty dirty kicker for only that many miles.......the way the horn is rusting shows me that it has taken a few stones in its time also

Right carb rear outside screw.
The boot for the neutral switch wire?
Like Gary said a rusty rider at best.

Give away will be the year codes on the tyres. I don't know what the year codes should be but that's one clue. Another would be the brake discs and pads. All should be showing virtually no wear. Are there ant radial marks on the discs or are they circular?

Value? Does it run??

Bin

The frame no corresponds with a US 80SG and the seat, (although it can be replaced), is an 80SG one year only styled seat.

Looking at the tower between the Gauges shows not a hint of any decal and the bezel on the Taco looks to old for the low mileage.

New Green, Mikes), manifold gaskets. Carbs have been off recently. those headers have had some heat through them as well.
If hes prepared to lie about that then don't believe a word he has to say. Seller is pulling your leg

Set of 78/79 Gauges and tower, (US), with over 15000 Miles i picked up.

Attachments

• P1000951.jpg
    P1000951.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 170
I don't believe the dot dates were required in the early eighties. That's why I suggested that. because if they were there, those weren't the original tires.
Good eye on the screw, and the neutral light boot.
At this point, if it doesn't have a title, walk away.
At 11 miles, the rings never seated in(assuming the story is true, Wich most of us have our doubts.)

There's money in it if it hasn't got a title.

Fork tubes may be ok, (don't see any damage in the pics), engine, carbs wheels brakes, ect, ect.

Make a great donor to a titled frame, hell buy a titled neck.

Just don't trust a word he says. Do a compression test yourself, and take a battery along with you.

Reread your post and if he can get a title, all well and good. Go and check it out, if it close, and do a through check out and test his honesty.

There is a good check list to buying a bike in the "Tech Menu"
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367

Take any tips from here as well.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390

Boy, some good eyes here. Add to that:

The wear lines on the brake rotors, too much for 11 miles.
Carb manifold clamps.
Spark plug wires, normally that short?
Clutch cable not routed under tank.
Case bolthead between oil fill port and neutral detent, too clean.

Could also examine high maintenance access screws/bolts, signs of usage/rounding.

Ditto with 650Skull, gggGary, Angus67, and others on value...

FWIW there's two brothers that own the Honda dealerships in Albany NY. They have been leaving bikes in creates since mid 70's
I seen a CBX 6cylinder. Goldwings etc

Posted via Mobile

chizler, this Yamaha was not found in a box, and shows signs of wear way more than eleven miles.
Those stories about dealers squirreling away bikes do happen. I think about 5 years ago, a guy in Italy had 10 vincents still in boxes.

Back