Can you just swap the alternator for a PMA?

thunderdork

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just redid my ignition. But I've decided to get rid of the battery. Can I just swap out the alternator for a permanent magnet rotor if I put in a rectifier and condenser? Trying to avoid digital parts.

On side note, the challenge is to build a EMP proof zombie apocalypse motorcycle. I'm keeping the points and mechanical advancer. Of course, the bottle neck could still be the fine wires in the ignition coils, relays, or the rectifier for the pma. Thoughts?

Not a crazy prepper, just like a challenge when I build things :)

No you can't. If you want EMP proof stay with the stock charging system with old style
rec and reg. and points ignition. And shoot the zombies in the head.

Generally zombies won't have the intelligence to build or use EMP devices.
So use whatever you want. The only way to go without a battery is to go with a PMA.
This requires not just a rotor but a whole different system.
Do a bit more research on the conversion.
Leo

emp, zombie, aliens... its a general purpose dooms day bike :)

yeah, i've researched it when I was redoing the ignition last month. I didn't quite know if the digital controls that replace the points and the advancer were necessary. if the permanent magnet coupled with a rectifier and condenser was enough to get juice going to the already existing timing system. but if they do need to be digitally controlled to get the plugs to fire then I guess I'm out.

You need a magneto, like a lawn mower. Don't know why there isn't more of that here. Lawn mowers don't need no stinkin battery or capacitor either.

@XSLeo, so just swapping out the alternator for the permanent magnet rotor with a rectifier/condenser is fine?

As far as magnetos, what's the difference between it and the permanent magnet solutions? I've read out there about a banshee magneto swap. I wonder how hard it would be to build a magneto from scratch... Anybody have a good link to a cross section of a magneto? Everything I see is just descriptions of the application of magnetos.

A PMA swap is to take off the complete stock charging system and replacing it with the PMA which uses a PMA rotor, it has magnets mounted in it. A PMA stator, makes the electricity. A PMA regulator/rectifier.
On a Banshee swap all you use is the Banshee rotor. The Banshee stator has a provision for the ignition but it won't work with the XS650. This provision is on the plate that holds the stator to the engine. This stator needs an adapter plate to mount it too an XS650. The ignition provision gets cut off. Now you mount the adapter, the stator mounting plate, the correct stator. Route the wires out where the stock wires were. Now hook the wires from the PMA stator to the PMA reg/rec Hook the positive from the reg/rec to battery positive or positive of a cap. Negative of the reg/rec to battery negative or cap negative.
Viola you now have converted to a PMA.
If you can fine all the right parts from other bikes you might save a few bucks over Hugh's Hand Built kit. But you won't get his customer support. If a part turns out bad your on the hunt again.
With Hugh, he works with you to get it right.
Leo

Back