Cant get my bike to run anymore after i fried my pamco...

I have been going over some of your old threads and it seems the bike was a real mess, 1 fuse on an 83? should be 4, no advance weights. the po could have done anything to that bike.
You need to do some google searches on some basic principles of mechanics, like "How to use a timing light". You may not understand some of the stuff you read but when you ask questions, the answers will be easier to understand and you will have something to reference back to.You should be taking a lot of photos before and during the dismantling process and of anything you are going to work on, they will help others helping you. Your lack of experiance, and information makes diagnosing problems extreamly hard and difficult for any one who is trying to help you.
I read about a wire you soldered on and it worked then didn't after you taped up the joint.
Question: do you know how to solder, was the soldered joint a cold one or hot.
If you don't know then you could be causing more problems than fixing.
Because you think you have fixed it and don't mention that you have done it, when tryin to get answers to other related issues you are not helping. What i am saying is, you have to give more info.

Question: Do you continuity test your wiring, if not how do you know if it is working?
; Haha. I don't want to guess. I have already had a wire burn up like a fuse in mission impossible. Trying to unplug it before it burned up anything else. Funny but a pain in the ass. And my clutch cable welded itself stuck because the bars were letting a wire ground...
This is a major problem and the reason this happened could be the reason for all of your pamco, reg/rect problems. You didn't mention this major short when asking for electrical help or your pamco demise.
Question: If your clutch cable welded itsself stuck, (to what and where) then what wires have welded themselves together.
You have been asking about grounding and wiring short issues since April. Common theme here. You have to learn how to continuity check your wiring. Google it or you are going to burn up your new pamco, Reg/Rect again.

No, you don't need the stator pick-up coil.
Advance rod? If you are getting spark, then the advance rod is in right, I think. It is either right or it is 180 degrees out, and either way will work because of the dual spark as someone else already said. If you look at this drawing:
http://www.biker.net/77-79_650_parts/engine/cam.PDF
you will see that there are 3 #7 alignment pins. The left hand one aligns your Pamco. The top one aligns your advance weight plate, which I think you don't have right now, so that pin is not an issue, if you don't have the advance plate, you don't need that pin. The left hand one aligns... I am going by memory, I kind of forget what that one does. But you need it. I'm kind of at my limit here without seeing what you have. You might need to start a new thread and get some fresh insight.

thanks for that. you're good at going back over what people have said before. i know better than anyone what my previous problems are. i got all of my wiring figured out before and it ran fine. then not so much.
the wire i soldered had a cut in it. i didnt realize at the time how much it would affect it. now i do.

the clutch cable welded itself stuck inside of itself (cable to the metal wrapped around it)

seeing as how you apparently know everything. imagine if you didnt. i never touched a motorcycle before i bought this one in feb. im learning from doing. (usually wrong) but i dont want to just take it to a shop. i want to fix it...

im realizing that once i start a new thread, seems like every 5 minutes, it gets looked at once and then if someone didnt have an answer they wont look at it again. i start new threads too much...

[QUOTE seeing as how you apparently know everything. imagine if you didnt. i never touched a motorcycle before i bought this one in feb. im learning from doing. (usually wrong) but i dont want to just take it to a shop. i want to fix it...[/QUOTE]

Just trying to help, no don't know every thing but i see a commen theme in your threads and was trying to get you to see it. you answered 1 of my 3 questions i asked.

Never mind.

haha. maybe i dont know how to solder. i have never gone to soldering school but when i do it seems to work. no i dont know how to do a continuity test because whenever someone explains it they expect me to know what im doing. they forget i need it to be translated for a child to understand. the common theme is that i dont know what im doing. I am the PO that everyone hates cause i "try" to "fix" things. i dont plan on selling this bike so i will save someone the hassle later...

and on that note. i got it to run! im not sure how. i took my advance rod out and turned it so the locating pin on the rod matched up with the pin on the cam. what did i do?

haha. maybe i dont know how to solder. i have never gone to soldering school but when i do it seems to work. no i dont know how to do a continuity test because whenever someone explains it they expect me to know what im doing. they forget i need it to be translated for a child to understand. the common theme is that i dont know what im doing. I am the PO that everyone hates cause i "try" to "fix" things. i dont plan on selling this bike so i will save someone the hassle later...

Ok answer me this............ If you don't know how to solder, how do you know when you have done a good solder.

And this............Have you googled "how to continuity test"

And members will answer thinking you do know somthing so it is up to you to do some research so their answers can be cross referenced so you can understand and help them to help you

i probably didnt do a good solder. but im ok with that. i have looked that, and tons of other things. at the moment i cant find anything about how to adjust my timing. and i have looked. im not THAT lazy. all i gotta do i push some pieces of plastic down. if they think i know how to do something they are usually wrong. i dont know how to do anything. haha. and ill usually tell them that. anyway. i gotta wait for my advance parts and then i can worry about wiring once thats in. so timing?

i probably didnt do a good solder. but im ok with that. i have looked that, and tons of other things. at the moment i cant find anything about how to adjust my timing. and i have looked. im not THAT lazy. all i gotta do i push some pieces of plastic down. if they think i know how to do something they are usually wrong. i dont know how to do anything. haha. and ill usually tell them that. anyway. i gotta wait for my advance parts and then i can worry about wiring once thats in. so timing?

One more try:..................You may be ok with your soldering but that is the problem. You do not know if you have done the job properly yet you are "ok with that" and yet the problem could still be there because you do not know if you have done the soldering properly. A continuity test can help you here as well. If there is bad soldering then it can show poor resistance in the test meaning your soldering needs to be redone, if not then that will/could cause problems with something else

Do not wait for your advance parts till you do anymore to your wiring, You are moving from one thing, not finished, and moving to another that can be damaged because you have not finished the first thing. You then do not know where your problem is because you are not completing one step at a time properly.

Again do some google searching, continuity test, solder, timing, or anything you are doing and then ask some questions, and the answers will help and not be so confusing.

One more try:..................You may be ok with your soldering but that is the problem. You do not know if you have done the job properly yet you are "ok with that" and yet the problem could still be there because you do not know if you have done the soldering properly. A continuity test can help you here as well. If there is bad soldering then it can show poor resistance in the test meaning your soldering needs to be redone, if not then that will/could cause problems with something else

Do not wait for your advance parts till you do anymore to your wiring, You are moving from one thing, not finished, and moving to another that can be damaged because you have not finished the first thing. You then do not know where your problem is because you are not completing one step at a time properly.

Again do some google searching, continuity test, solder, timing, or anything you are doing and then ask some questions, and the answers will help and not be so confusing.

do you quote everything? Thanks for killing another one of my threads. ill go to google instead of here next time. since google has worked on these bikes before...

Im either as clear as mud or you are missing my point. i will not get involved with any of your threads again.

Good luck

and on that note. i got it to run! im not sure how. i took my advance rod out and turned it so the locating pin on the rod matched up with the pin on the cam. what did i do?
Your rod wasn't pushed in all the way. The advance rod was turning from friction, but not the way it was supposed to, which is by being fixed to the cam shaft by the pin. It may have vibrated out during the ride when you had the failure. It may have vibrated out because the advance plate wasn't there to keep things like they should be. Not sure why you fried the Pamco, could very well be a bad connection as 650Skull suggested. Unless you checked your old reg/rec according to the tests in the manuals, there is a good chance nothing was ever wrong with it.

650Skull knows his stuff. You just lost a good mentor there. Maybe you didn't like his approach, but he went to a lot of trouble to try to help you.

Glad you got it running.

he did that to me before. it seems like more criticism than help. i appreciate any help i can get. his approach seems like more of, "help me, help myself". which works, but not very well with me who has no patience.

anyway, now i got a new problem. timing is Waaaaaaay off. the marks are showing on a different space than what it probably should be. could my rotor be on wrong? it still runs like crap though...

Im either as clear as mud or you are missing my point. i will not get involved with any of your threads again.

Good luck

Wow. Thanks. Now hopefully everyone else doesn't read this and automatically assume I'm a jerk and decide to not help me also. If that happens i guess I can paint my bike, hardtail it, move to another state and get a new username an pretend im someone else...

Posted via Mobile

I thought you were waiting for a timing light and advance weights from MikesXS. Do not run the bike until you get and install the weights. You will need the third of those three locating pins in the microfiche drawing.

Less sarcasm and impatience to those who try to help, even if they don't help. More sincere "thank you"s to those who try to help, even if they don't help. All we want is two things: we want to know what eventually fixes your bike so that we can learn too, and a "thanks" every now and then would be nice, just for our efforts, even when we are wrong or don't actually help.

I got my timing light early. Mikes stuff should be here Tuesday. I rode the bike for like 300 miles and never noticed that I needed the advance stuff. I'm pretty dumb. Anyway. I decided not to touch it til the advance is in. The rod might be binding on the bushing too. I ordered new ones. But to go with what you were saying, I appreciate everyone's help, yes everyone. It's just my sarcasm and impatience that doesn't show it. I always just want a quick answer but in the long run it does help to have to find the answer myself. My dad does the same thing which I don't like at the time but it's worth it later...

Posted via Mobile

Until you get your impatience and sarcasm under control you will find working on a 30+ year old bike very frustrating. We have all been where your at.
As 650skull suggested learning the basics of how to solder and use a meter will help you very much.
Getting a repair manual will help. The manual covers how to do a tune up. It tells how to trouble shoot the reg/rec, rotor and stator plus the associated wiring.
You can't run till you learn to walk.
Leo

Back