Can't keep the worm can shut.

donmillerx

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I guess I need to vent.
After some serious deliberation, I decided last week to sell the ol' XS. It was a tough decision but had to be done.
I wanted to get some good quality photos of it for the ad and took off in search of a couple good spots to photograph it.
Ended up riding close to 100 miles that day. :bike: Loved every minute of it. Thought well, maybe I could hang on to it for another year and do some "fine tuning", maybe get a little more money out of it later. :wink2:
Two days ago, took it out on another "shakedown run" and noticed one cylinder wasn't firing again. :wtf: Got it home and realized the carb mount on the other side was split, one petcock is leaking and there's a crack in the battery, spilling acid all over the place. :banghead:
Next thing I knew, it was 2am...I was sweating, bleeding and covered in gas n' oil with the bike in pieces all over my garage. :doh:
Sound familiar?
Now, I'm still under the delusion that I can whip this thing back together in no time and be back on the rode or throw the ad up and hope for the best.
I just can't stand the idea of putting it back together without replacing a few small things that I know will help her perform better, for me or someone else. :thumbsup:
But you know how we rationalize things... "While I've got it apart, I might as well take care of this" and "If you're gonna do this, then you might as well do that"...etc etc etc.
It never ends. :shrug:

I'll let you know if it ends up on "Craig's", pieced back together or if it's fate is a total re-build.
Thanks for listening.

Here she is recently on 650chopper:
http://www.xs650chopper.com/2010/04/detroit-77-xs650/

And a couple sad pics yesterday: :(

Attachments

• P1010894.jpg
    P1010894.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 112
  • P1010905.jpg
    P1010905.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 106
If you're going to sell it, put it back together to minimally get it running, don't put another penny in it past that. You will *not* get your money back out of it.

If you're going to keep it, fix everything you want to.

- no tupperware biking here, a labour of love...sometimes i wish i could bring myself to sell a bike, and then i ride it

Keep going, it's yours, it needs your love, this year will be different.

HAhAHAHhahAhahha. Ah, the call of the optimist.

Oddly, every year i *know* it won't be different. She'll be cranky, something will have to be replaced, she'll bitch and moan. But she'll make sure i get home every time before she tells me to go fuck myself, and she still makes me giggle. It evens out. :D

post it here first if you decide to sell. at least you will know it most likely wont be slaughtered for parts.
you shouldnt sell it since that 100 mile ride was so great.

My o ho hasn't got on my nerves for a couple of years now........but thinking it must be female because of the hard time she gave me when I first got her and I had to figured out what was aling her she has turned into a fine bi$#h lately.......And when I talk crap about her I make sure she can't hear me..........that's important...

xsjohn

xsjohn

Back