Can't Remove Countershaft Seal

SpongeBobbed

650 Simpleton
Reaction score
Hi There,

I started working on replacing my countershaft seal and I got stumped on the first step!
I was using the instructions that were posted online and it just says to remove the seal with a small flat screwdriver. Well I tried that and it was stuck in there really good. It wouldn't come out no matter what I did. I ended up destroying the top of it and now I'm worried I've let little pieces of the seal stuck in the shaft. I've left about 3/4s of the deal in there because I didn't want to do anymore damage.

Has anyone had this problem before??
Thanks!

Last edited:
Ya a sealer puller would have been really handy.
The trouble with doing things the first time is you're not 100% sure what to expect. I was pulling the rubber off the seal without actually pulling the seal itself. Finally realized what I was doing and it come off a lot easier. It'll go a lot quicker next time!

I was pulling the rubber off the seal without actually pulling the seal itself. Finally realized what I was doing and it come off a lot easier. It'll go a lot quicker next time!

Below thread may have been helpful to you...

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27770&highlight=Countershaft+seal+replacement

It's a safe bet that you didn't clean off the rubber from the face of the seal as well as I did prior to enlightenment...

:laugh: :laugh:

You can see what I used to pull the (remainder) of the seal in Post #16. It's a vinyl siding removal tool.

Last edited:
"The trouble with doing things the first time is you're not 100% sure what to expect."

Like pulling the rubber and not the seal frame. Easy mistake to make the first time. Keep up the good work. DONT go too fast the first time. Pay close attention.

Be sure to clean up where the seal seats VERY WELL before putting the new seal in. The first seal I replaced continued to seep a bit because I didn't clean it quite good enough. Took it back out and did a really detailed cleaning and replaced with new seal....Golden ever since.

Once you've been through this stuff once/twice and know what to expect you will be surprised at how quickly you can get through these projects.

YL - I actually pulled up your post while I was half way through and that's what made me realize I was doing it wrong! I should have gave you some credit for that. Haha

Thanks for all your input guys. I think I cleaned the area up pretty good. I polished the spacer it sits on as well as chamfering the edges. I then hit it with some 600 wet sand paper to smooth it out even more. I put a bit of the 3 bond on it when I seated it so I think it's good. Just gotta make sure I tighten the sprocket up really good when I put it back on. I bought a new front and rear sprocket as mine where pretty worn so I'm just waiting on those to arrive.

My cafe is leaking in every possible spot so I'm going to tackle the tach seals next. I'll be asking a lot more questions forsure.

Thanks!!

Back