Carburetors for 71 XS1B

rshane53

ramjet
Reaction score
Hello forum, I have a 71 650 with carburetors that have the fuel bowl screw threads stripped. I am thinking about filling with JB Weld, then drilling and re-tapping new threads. Does anyone have any experience with JB Weld on a small hole? An alternative is to find replacement carb bodies. My only concern is that another old carb may have the same issue. Is there a replacement carburetor that would fit the 71 XS1B as a direct replacement? I have seen new Mikuni round slide 34MM carb kits, but they all say they are for newer models.:(

The kit will set you back a bit, but the "correct" solution is to use a M4-0.7 helicoil kit. I have done many stripped BS38 float bowl screws this way. You won't have to fumble around with miss-matched screws when working on the carbs.

If you want replacement carbs, try to find a good set of 1976-1979 XS650 BS38s or 1980-1983 XS650 BS34s. These are much easier to set up than your current carbs because they are linked and use a single cable. All you will possibly need to make them work is new intake boots. You can often find perfectly functional inexpensive BS34s and BS38s on this forum from members who think they have to swap in VMs or what-not and are selling theirs.

Another option are the Kawasaki Ninja EX500 carbs. Great carbs, easy to tune, read the thread.
Leo

Back