Cardinal red 1980 xs

lonzo22

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I was stuck trying to get a 004H CDR CARDINAL RED for a 1980 xs650.
I finally decided to match it close as possible . Went to AutoZone took the side cover found dupli color BFM0317 Electric Currant Red Met (EG) Or DSFM317. It is actually a Ford Motor Co paint so if you are stuck like I was it is a viable solution
I realize Yamaha wants to hold on to there secrets but, 30 years is long enough. Who ever has the key code for the paint is holding on to some valuable merchandise. Bless their heart.
A can was enough to do the gas tank. But, not so fast, you will need a bottle of alcohol, or can paint prep about 10 bucks a can of primer I used gray, about 8 bucks, the can of BFM0317, 8 bucks and clear coat to top it with about 8 bucks. So for about 30 bucks you can get a very close color and improve the looks.:bike:
photo gas tank 1.jpg

gas tank paint 3.jpg

I've been pondering taking your route using dark cherry metallic. I don't think there are really many who would try hard to match the original colors. I wanted to mention I'm reading that duplicolor clear is not gas resistant. I'm also reading the big gas resistant clear everyone is using is deadly poison, e.g. skin exposure can cause asthma. Not chronic exposure; a single exposure.

I been pondering taking your route using dark cherry metallic. I don't think there are really many who would try hard to match the original colors. I wanted to mention I'm reading that duplicolor clear is not gas resistant. I'm also reading the big gas resistant clear everyone is using is deadly poison, e.g. skin exposure can cause asthma. Not chronic exposure; a single exposure.

There is no doubt in my mind those are valid concerns. I agree that Dupli Color is not gas resistant. (Found out the hard way) So one must ask himself what to do about the clear coat. Long Gloves an old sweat shirt or paint suit. And breathing apparatus.
Ive never been that crazy about red or maroon bikes. I have been working on this one over a year and the color kind of took on its own personality. I will most likely do a little more freshening up over the winter even though on good days I will ride. stay up player :bike:

Back