Case split mis hap! What Now?

fullashit

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi there,

I've had to split my cases due to a stupid mistake I made while building my XS.
See here
http://www.xs650.com/threads/i-am-dumb-drunk-ass-wrecks-cherry-xs.47909/#post-482468.

Anyway, While I was on this very site looking for the picture that outlines the case bolts and sequence to remove them my buddy was out back removing them out of sequence. I can find info about how to split them everywhere but cannot find anything about what to do if you do it wrong. So my questions are, Is the case warped? Is there any way to check? What are the consequences? Should I step away from motorcycles and take up knitting?
I finally have the parts I need to build the engine and get this bike back on the road for summer but don't want to build the entire engine to find out it was all for nothing.
Thank you in advance,

John

Attachments

• IMG_20180111_085016_785.jpg
    IMG_20180111_085016_785.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 164
OCD much? :whistle: no worries, you are fine. Even once all the fasteners are out you have to force them apart.... If you just have to; slap em together empty, check that there are no gaps anywhere. But even if there were; there are so many fasteners they'll draw up tight. Remember a thin smear of yamabond or some such at final assembly.

OCD... maybe a little ;). Thank you for the response and that is good news. I have a new tube of Hondabond which I am sure will work as the yamalube would. Thanks again gggGary!

While loosening in the reverse of tightening pattern might be a good practice I don't think it would be that critical. At least when I tore apart the engine that is in my 1982 Heritage Special many years ago and put back together last year I did not give that a thought. It seems to run just fine.

If anything I might be a little more concerned about the head bolts as there is a gasket there that might have more of a problem than the crankcase haves where it is metal to metal.

... clean..clean and clean the case mate'n surfaces.... light kiss of sealer.. I had the various the nuts and washers, bolts laid out... in order as much as possible.. then step'd torqued the cases...can't recall the final torque settings.. but I work'd the pattern several times until I got to the final torque spec.
I had to drop a 73' crank in my 70'... (early version that ate the needle bearings).

Thank You kshansen and motorkike... this is all great info, I did remove the head in sequence and have kept my hardware in order even though I may go with new. I am being overly cautious and vigilant because this will be the first time I've been this far into a motorcycle engine and am a bit intimidated. I intend to put a lot of miles on this machine so I want it right. I can't say enough about you guys on this forum as every time I have needed help you guys have stepped up with useful info. Thank you again.

I intend to put a lot of miles on this machine so I want it right.
You're going to reach the point where what is right consists of diametrically opposing opinions. You're liable to crack under the pressure.

You're going to reach the point where what is right consists of diametrically opposing opinions. You're liable to crack under the pressure.
xjwmx Yes this is true and understand this is opinion only sometimes based on experience and weigh every response . I am also relying on information from Hans J. Pahl's book as well as Hugh from Hugh's Handbuilt postings all over the internet and tend to trust them. Also I am fortunate enough to have "cracked" years ago so now it's merely an enjoyable ride of ups and downs lol!

Have you priced the parts yet?
Other than the taller 5th gear from mikes xs I am considering I have all the parts, gaskets and seals I need. The engine was very low mileage. I wrecked the cam rockers and valves so I pulled it apart to make sure all the metal was cleaned out and the bottom end was okay.

Did you find any "junk" from the mishap in the bottom end?

Did you find any "junk" from the mishap in the bottom end?
Surprisingly not much, I couldn't see any metal but there was a bunch of cam chain guide bits every where. For the amount of damage and heat the top end took the bottom and jugs were just fine. It's an awfully impressive engine

full,
Yeah, you're likely to see all the plastic guide chunks. Too bad about the top end, though. However, lucky you, yours is one of the later models. Parts abound on the Craig-bay, maybe even here, in the classifieds. You ought to be able to find enough used (yours is used, right?) parts to put your engine back together without too much trouble. Good luck, and keep us posted...

full,
Yeah, you're likely to see all the plastic guide chunks. Too bad about the top end, though. However, lucky you, yours is one of the later models. Parts abound on the Craig-bay, maybe even here, in the classifieds. You ought to be able to find enough used (yours is used, right?) parts to put your engine back together without too much trouble. Good luck, and keep us posted...

Yeah unlike other older metric bikes parts are plentiful for these. I managed to get an entire used engine that someone tried to rebuild and the head, cam, rockers, and valves were all great so I'm good to go. I may do a build thread as I go... we'll see.

Back