centering camshaft woes

Jaydela180

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Having some troubles with centering camshaft. When bearings are evenly spaced from outside sealing surface (and completely inward on shaft), cam gear does not look center in tunnel. And when i center cam gear in tunnel, bearings look way off. Anyone have this issue?

Are you sure you don't have the cam sitting in there backwards? Threaded end should be on the right.

OK, you're cool with that then. All I can think of is maybe the bearings aren't seated all the way like you think they are? They should very nearly be touching the first cam lobe, hang off the case on the inside (I know that looks wrong, but it's not), and be inset on the outside maybe 3/16" or so .....

CAUaj9S.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe they're not all the seated. Everything shifted a little while peening cam chain. I'll keep messing with and if I can't get it I'll throw a picture up. Thanks

If you look at 5Twins picture you see the small distance the bearings are in from each end of the head.

Put the end caps on both ends and just snug up whatever screws will fit in the lower head.

Then the distance between the bearings and end caps should be the same, adjust the cam position until it is.

Your cam will be centered because there is no where else it can be.

Got it figured out. Shadows were messing with me. On the " dark" side of engine I was measuring to the second lip. Add to the list of essential tools... Proper lighting. Thanks guys

Back