Chain Tensioners

AussieHard

AussieHardTail
Reaction score
Monster Craftsmen have had their chain tensioners out for a while now and i was looking for experiences.

Weld on vs Bolt on

Sprocket vs Skate Wheel.

Other makes or DIY jobs

Any tips tricks on fitment and how they are wearing over time.

Quality part. I have the bolt on sprocket for a 530 chain and it works great. BUT, you must have somewhere to bolt it on in a the correct place. I just wish it had a counterspring to stiffen everything up. Also I have a 2" stretch frame.

I see you started a thread about this a long time ago. There's good opinions there too...
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6513

Quality part. I have the bolt on sprocket for a 530 chain and it works great. BUT, you must have somewhere to bolt it on in a the correct place. I just wish it had a counterspring to stiffen everything up. Also I have a 2" stretch frame.

I see you started a thread about this a long time ago. There's good opinions there too...
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6513

What do you mean by counter spring? Is yours the bolt tighten fixed in position version?

Yeah I know..... I started a new one because there was NO HOPE of getting the last one back on track.

I also wanted to hear from people now that they would be running them a while

The one I made out of the stock pegs and a skateboard wheel is holding up really well. Wheel barely has any wear and the tension has remained the same. I made a diy thread on one about a year ago. Its not pretty but it works great. :thumbsup:

I used the original monstercraftsman design with the slave sprocket.

The tensioner is nice but it's noisy; seems to be an inherent part of the design even when chainline is dead straight. I found a tensioner is also not necessary with a TC bros tail. That being said, I removed mine.

I used the original monstercraftsman design with the slave sprocket.

The tensioner is nice but it's noisy; seems to be an inherent part of the design even when chainline is dead straight. I found a tensioner is also not necessary with a TC bros tail. That being said, I removed mine.

Do you happen to know how many links you have in your chain? I also have TC Bros tail but my chain sags and the wheel is adjusted as far back as it can go. I most likely need a new one but not sure how many links to run.

Back