Changing the Starter Clutch

gaillarry

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Got new parts to change out the starter clutch on my 83. Not much in the manual on how to do it, is there a tutorial around for it? (looked at the wiki site but link isn't there)

Wewlcome to the board.
Easy to do, remove the right side engine cover, remove clutch, remove old gears, install new.
Put the clutch back on then the cover.
Add fresh oil. Might as well pull the oil filters and inspect and clean them.
Leo

In your manual use the clutch removal section to get the clutch off, then the electric starter section for the gears behind the clutch.
Leo

Put the new parts in and still it's slipping and the kickstart won't move. Obviously I've done something wrong, now to open it up again and check things out!

There's 3 ways to install that spring on the kicker, 2 are wrong. One locks up the kicker, one lets it kick free but doesn't turn the engine, the 3rd way works. I wish I could be more help but I usually end up trying all 3 before I get it right.

He is right about the kicker...if there is too little tension on the spring then it will "miss its connection"...that's the best way I can describe it...and vise verse if there is too much tension...I had that same problem last weekend when I was messing with my clutch/kicker...as far as the gear issue...I haven't gotten that far yet.

Is it possible to leave the cover off to test the starter clutch gears?

Yes, but you might need a helper to hold things in place and you'll want to remove your spark plugs to reduce compression.

PS. There is a very good thread with photos on that somewhere on here. I found it the first time I went there. The plastic wire tie trick is a life saver. Search until you find it.

Last edited:
The instructions for the kicker install in the factory shop manual are really quite simple. I don't know why people have so much trouble with this.

Did a dry run just to check if the starter clutch works ok. The starter clutch will only spin the engine once, can't get it to continually spin with the starter button depressed??

Posted a youtube video here:

Anyone?

" Did a dry run just to check if the starter clutch works ok. The starter clutch will only spin the engine once, can't get it to continually spin with the starter button depressed??

Posted a youtube video here:
"

Back