charging problems

beertek

XS650 Member
Reaction score
so my bike is a`73. i did a custom wiring harness thats bare bones. I noticed that i have a low voltage when the bike runs its anywhere from 11.3-11.7. i have to rev it up high to get 12.5. i started off with a fresh battery at 12.5 and it dropped down to the mid 11s while running but it ran for solid 30-35 minutes before it died (i ran out of gas) and it stayed at 11.66. any suggestions what my problem is? its obviously getting some charging but not enough to get me over 14v. i read the charging article on this thread but its mostly for stock wiring. i did the slap test and its good but other than that im lost. let me know what you think. thanks

How long are the brushes? They may be coming to the end of their serviceable life.

sorry i should have given more info about the rest of the system...brushes, rotor, stator, regulator/rectifier are all new from tc brothers and i bought their wiring harness which is only 3 plugs that plug the stator and reg/rec together. bike is kick only and starts first kick. my only concern is running low voltage because last week my headlight was dimming and got brighter as i reved the engine thats when i noticed the problem

That is the simple test of the XS charging system.
It is normal for it to get brighter above idle.
A full charge rate of only 12.5 volts isn't right though.

Back