Charging system gone.

Nwcali01

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello men. New to the forums and bought my first xs 8 months ago so slowly learning and working on the bike. A bit of advice from you all? Charging system is bad and was wondering if the PAMCO high output electronic ignition kit would be a good replacement for my 1980 xs? Pretty much stock motor w k&n filters so would this kit give better charging? Any advice would help. Thanks all. Nick

The Pamco is an ignition system. It has nothing to do with the charging so no, it won't help.

Duh, that one went over my head. Well the alternator doesnt even charge the battery anymore so I would guess replacing that would be in the works...any suggestions? Reg repop replacement or upgrade?

Follow the steps in the "charging system guide" in the tech section to determine what part of your charging system is bad. It could be as simple as a loose/bad connection.

It could be as cheap and easy as new brushes or.as expensive as a stator. Check and test the components

Unfortunately, charging problems are common on these bikes. It could be as simple as worn out brushes that are no longer making good contact. It could be as serious as a shorted out rotor or bad stator. It could be a bad regulator or rectifier. You have to start testing things and pin point the problem before you start buying stuff. Some of those components are very expensive and you may end up wasting money if you go and replace good components. There's a "Tech" link at the top of the page. There are charging system trouble shooting threads in there. Start reading and testing.

If you decide to change to a PMA you will also need a PAMCO kit for your 1980. Together they will probably run you $500. So it will be a good idea to follow the advice given above and check all your charging components and wiring. tim

Back