charging system woes

frank

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wired in a reg/rec combo that i got from mikes xs and followed the wiring diags from the threads i've seen here. Well, while wiring it in i forgot to unground the stator with the nylon screws and i got smoke coming out of the the stator part of the motor. Can anyone tell if i burnt out the brushes or did i burn up the reg/rec. Or did i burn up both for that matter. Please help with any info you can give me. Its a 78 points motor xs650. Thanks for reading my thread.

frank,

Mikes has a combo reg/rect that is made for the '71 to '79 models. So, if you ordered the correct part number the nylon screw mod is not necessary.

Part number for '71 to '79 Part #24-2089
Part Number for '80 to '84 Part #24-2087

So, if you bought the correct part number, the smoke from the stator is probably your rotor burning up because it is shorted. This is something you should have checked before installing the reg/rect.

If you bought the incorrect part number, then that would not cause any smoke. It just wouldn't work because the regulator would be suppling a ground to a grounded rotor.

go buy a test light and make sure youve got power going to the wires that need to have it! if you got no power it burned. check wires going to and from reg rec and stator

Ok the reg/rec i bought is for a 71 to79 points model so it is the correct one. i double checked that. Now, in other threads on here it specifically tells me to use the the nylon scrrews. I'm guessing cause its stock. Also does the smoke mean something is burned up or just got hot?

Ok i checked the wires to and from stator and reg/rec and i have power from the red wire, green wire, and the brown, and i have power at the stator as well. battery has a charge of 12.8 but when i start the bike it drops to 12.4. I put my voltmeter to the sytem while its running but i still get no change in rise of voltage. It stays at 12.4 Don't know what i need to do. i'm an automotive mechanic totally cluess of motorcycles?

Do you have a multi-meter? If so you can check the ohms of your rotor and stator. You can start by pulling your brushes and measuring them. The book calls for at least 1/4 inch, I like 3/8 inch better. This could be your problem.
While you have the brushes out is a good time to check the rotor. Set your meter to it's lowest ohm setting. Touch the probes together. Whatever you get as a reading remember it. You will need to subtract this reading from your test readings.
Touch a probe to each slip ring, the places the brushes touch the rotor.
Lets say that when you touched the probes together you got a .4 reading. When you touched the slip rings you got a 5.7 reading. Subtract the .4 from 5.7 gives you 5.3 ohms. Your rotor should be 5 ohms +or- 10% so 4.5 to 5.5 is good.
Your reading is 5.3 well with in specs.
Also check from the slip rings to ground, should be infinity to ground.
You can check the stator about the same way. If you follow the wires up from the stator you will find a large plug with 6 wires in it and a single plug with a yellow wire. unplug both plugs.
Now locate the three white wires in the plug from the stator. Touch your probes to each pair of white wires. You should get a reading of about .9 ohms, remember to subtract the reading you get when touching the probes together. So lets say you get the .4 used earlier. You get 1.4 ohms - .4 ohms= 1 ohm on all three pairs of white wires. The .9 ohms is a +or- 10% too. So anything from .8 to 1 is good. You may get a different reading, some stators spec .46 ohms. As long as they all match and read infinity to ground its ok.
If your parts fail any of these checks they may need to be replaced.
Do the checks and report back your results.
Do you have a repair manual? I would suggest you get one. They can be gotten several places. I like the Yamaha Factory manuals best, After that the Haynes and Clymer are about even. They both have good and bad points. Biker.net has them as downloads.

Last edited:
Not to hijack yer thread but I'm at the same step in diagnosing my charging system and didnt want to open a new thread....Wiring from PO was cobbled up, so I just finished rewiring the entire system, before even starting to diagnose why the batt wasnt charging. So still no charge. Went thru the steps as linked above. Voltage did not rise at all while idling or revving. No magnetic field on the side of the cover. Brown wire at positive brush reads about 0.3V below battery voltage, and about 0.15V below at the key switch. SO....

Resistance between the probes on my multi-meter is 0.2ohms. Reading between slip rings is 0.7. SO subtract the 0.2 and I get about .5ohms. Reading between white wires all show 0.7ohms, so subtract the 0.2 and get 0.5ohms. Reading to ground shows infinity at all points.

So I am safe in assuming my rotor needs to be replaced but my stator is OK??

Craig

9c1cap, On your voltage drops they are iffy. The main switch can be opened up and the contacts cleaned. Bright and shiny is good.
On your rotor reading if it is .5 ohms it needs replacing. Gary at Custom Rewinds phone number 800-798-7282 does a good job. But before you pay the $125 + S&H. I would check them again.
Getting good low ohm readings can be problematic. As Pamcopete suggests getting a coulple 10 ohm resisters and hooking them in parallel to get 5 ohms and checking your meter. This will also give you a better idea of what a 5 ohm reading looks like.
If you can get the stator out of the way and clean the slip rings, bright and shiny here too. This will help get a better reading.
It does sound like it's bad though.
The stator reading sounds ok.
So yes your assumption is correct. According to your numbers the rotor is bad, the stator good.

Back