Charging system

kwl-dk

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi.

New member from Denmark :) I am currently modifying a 1976 XS650 to accept RSV mille wheels, FZR1000 forks, homemade swingarm, tank etc. Fun project

I have a question regarding my charging system. I bough the bike as a basket case project.

i have come to installing the charging system but cant seem to figure out how to approach it. A friend of mine had a regulator I could have, so i ditched the original and questionable parts of the charging system.

I just can´t seem to understand how the rectifier/regulator/charging works, so i have difficulties figuring out how to wire the stuff up.

The regulator i have, have 5 wires. 3 yellow, 1 black/white and 1 red wire. from the alternator, i get 3 white, a green and a black.

I have made the childish drawing below of what i have at the moment, have i forgotten or am missing anything to get it to work?

I would highly appreciate if one of you guys could fill the blanks, maybe with an explanation. I hate it when i can´t figure out how stuff works:laugh:

full

You cannot just grab a random regulator and "wire it in" The stock XS charging system uses an electro magnet to excite the alternator, many MC charging system use permanent magnet alternators (PMA), those require a different type of voltage regulator. In addition the XS system had an early; 70-79 regulate the hot wire, and late; 80-83 regulate the ground wire system, These use different voltage regulators and brush holders. At this late date either type of system, some mix of the two, or even a PMA system could be on your bike. There are bunch of threads on how both types work

Back