Charging system_Push rod seal shavings?

JayR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey all - so I replaced my push rod seal and finally fixed a lingering oil leak. No more drips or cardboard under the bike.

But, a little while after replacing the seal, the electrical system stopped charging. When replacing the seal, I de-burred the opening, creating metal shavings. I tried to be neat, but could it be possible that some shavings got stuck to the alternator and FUBARed my charging system?

Good battery holds a charge for weeks. About 2 years ago I did a complete test of the charging system from A-Z using the charging guide and a lot of help fro you all. At the time it turned out the reg/rec was burnt out, so I replaced it with new from MikesXS. The system was working flawlessly until now.

Now the electrical system will not charge or maintain voltage (13v) with headlight on while riding/revving. I made it to to the Slap Test, and nothing - no magnetic field is being generated.

So anyone else experience the issue of a failing charging system after push rod replacement / deburring?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide :)

I doubt it's the shavings. Aluminum, won't stick to magnets.
Could check the alternator harness routed below there. Maybe disturbed, chafed. 5twins' experience:

Post #31.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/200-special.51454/page-2#post-539825

With the slap test fail, makes this a lot easier. Either not getting power to the inner brush, or no grounding of the outer brush (regulator)...

I doubt it's the shavings. Aluminum, won't stick to magnets.
Could check the alternator harness routed below there. Maybe disturbed, chafed. 5twins' experience:

Post #31.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/200-special.51454/page-2#post-539825

With the slap test fail, makes this a lot easier. Either not getting power to the inner brush, or no grounding of the outer brush (regulator)...

Aluminum. Right. Jeeze. Thanks for the link to 5Ts post. I’ll pull the cover and see what’s up. Hopefully not a short in the loom. But I was futzing with that - really don’t want to buy another reg/Rec!

Back