Choosing correct tire HELP!!

4stroke

4stroke
Reaction score
I currently have a 400x18 tire on rear from what in reading that's the same size as a 110/90/18 tire am I correct? If so when I'm searching for that tire it seems there all listed as a front tire if I got a 110/90/18 front tire could it be mounted on the rear?? So frustrating!!:banghead:

I can't speak off-hand of other tire makes/models, but Avon makes a 110/90-18 AM26 Roadrider in a "universal" fitment, ie., front or rear use, with the tire oriented according to usage (arrows on the sidewall denoting direction of rotation for front or rear use).

If you mount a directional ( one direction only side wall arrow) front on the rear, mount it in reverse rotation. The carcass is built up so the overlap that exists in the stackup of the tread support is not stressed in an "opening" direction by the primary stresses in the tire. A rear tire's primary stress is in applying torque to motivate the bike forward. A front tire's primary stress is in hard braking, flexing the carcass in the opposite direction. LOTS of options without flipping a front though.
http://www.americanmototire.com/cat...d=728&osCsid=ac753585f620381739a1835f8fa5a2c5

Thanks I'm thinking of trying to fit a 12/80/18 on rear I should have clearance between fender just not sure yet if my stock 76 aluminum wheel will take it

If that's your bike in your avatar, then go for it. It won't make it handle any worse than it already does, lol. A 120 will fit on a stock 650 but is larger than the original 4.00 so it slows down the steering and handling. The bike is not as "flickable" through corners anymore. I'm guessing that doesn't concern you.

i actually stripped the entire bike and am in process of rebuilding to my likings as soon as i have a second im going to post pics of the build! it actually didnt handle to bad originally with the 400/18 on rear

Back