Chrome questions

photojon

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So my bike has been the same stage for a year and a half. Its my daily rider, she just passed 5000 miles on the odo. But this winter Im looking to tear it down and build up a show stopper. Just have a few questions. I making the bike have as little paint and powder coat as possible. Most of the bike will be Chrome, copper, braided lines, polished aluminum, anodized aluminum, and leather.

DSC_0239.jpg

I just need help with what I can polish, and what I can have chromed. Finally, what has to be painted.

Can I chrome?:

Carbs, engine, tank, motor mounts, foot pegs, passenger pegs, chain tightener, exhaust

Can I anodize my aluminum head light mount (pictured), triple trees ( 92 kawasaki zx7)

Thanks for any help.

Only thing I would stay away from chroming are engine parts. Chrome only stays on them for a few years,and then it starts jumping off. I polish mine,and I think a lot of other guys do as well. The good thing about polish over chrome is,you can fix polished stuff yourself. When the chrome goes bad,you're stuck.

I like the sounds of this build. Something I found out when I was color scheming my bike was that a good powder coater can make parts of your bike look REALLY close to real metal ie: copper, brass etc.

I found this particularly useful for areas that are difficult to polish.

Back