Chunk-o-metal

Nick3l

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey there. I've owned my 83 xs650 for 2 seasons, start of third. When I drove it to work the other day to change the oil,there was a chunk of metal on the magnetic oil plug. It drove to work fine. Had no choice, but rode home fine,too. I have not opened up anything but google, and I think it's a piece of 5th gear. I'm trying to put up a pic, but having problems with that. Any thoughts as to what it could be, and what I should do? I paid $75 for bike. SEEMS to run great( minus not keeping a flipping charge:banghead:).

Posted via Mobile

Hey there. I've owned my 83 xs650 for 2 seasons, start of third. When I drove it to work the other day to change the oil,there was a chunk of metal on the magnetic oil plug. It drove to work fine. Had no choice, but rode home fine,too. I have not opened up anything but google, and I think it's a piece of 5th gear. I'm trying to put up a pic, but having problems with that. Any thoughts as to what it could be, and what I should do? I paid $75 for bike. SEEMS to run great( minus not keeping a flipping charge:banghead:).

Posted via Mobile

Posted via Mobile

Sorry. The re-post was an accident. I think that because I looked up all internal engine parts on google images( after someone aimed me that way) until I found something that looked like it. All this, I'm doing on my iPad, and I can't figure out how to put pics on here. Pissing me off actually. But ya, that's what I think. It's a fairly good size. Really don't know how to describe it. I'm gonna keep trying the pic thing

Posted via Mobile

I once found a tooth from a second gear in an oil change. Outside of a noisy second gear, it ran great.

If it's a piece of your transmission like your suggesting, it's time for tear down.

Don't keep driving the bike.

It the transmission starts breaking up, you are 1 second away from a complete transmission lockup.

If the transmission locks up at speed, it will spit you off quicker than you can say "Oh Shit".
:laugh:

On my thread there was a guy that experienced the same thing and just kept riding.

In retrospect..I'd probably do the same if everything else was OK. My bike had low compression so it needed to be tore down anyway.

Well, it was $50 cash, I know i said $75,but there was also labor bartered. I think I'm on a try it out for now. First bike. Don't want to tear it down and not have it to ride. Either winter, or windfall. Lol. Also want to brat it or bobber or I think. Stock right now

Back