Circuit breaker?

AirsoftNY

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with this kind of circuit breaker in place of a fuses? Its labeled as an 12v auto reset circuit breaker, they have them at the Auto Zone near me for different amp settings...

122-101612V15ACircuitBreakerBBracketsm.jpg

I'm not sure how the auto reset function works once it's blown. If it's overloaded or shorted, does is immediately reset, and if so how can you fix the condition that caused it to trip if it keeps resetting?

thanks!

--Aaron

If you are going to use a breaker, you are much better off with a manual reset type. With automatics, they can reset and cause damage, because they pop on an over current condition, often a dead short. With a manual, you can visually verify that it popped, and you know where your troubled circuit is, so you can isolate the troubleshooting immediately, and you don't have to carry spares. I've often thought of going with breakers rather than fuses, but some argue that the power supply of a 12 volt system is too inconsistient for breakers, and that's the general reason for staying with fuses. That, plus weight and expense to the initial manufacturer. Wouldn't be that hard to change back to fuses if it proved unreliable though.

Yamaha XT550 and XT600 has a circuit breaker that you can re-set with a button. They are compact and easy to use. I think they are 10 amp. The only problem might be the cost. Not sure what that is but you can bet Yamaha thinks a lot of them. I use them to isolate shorts without having to burn a hand full of fuses. Good luck.

I'd do the manual reset type too. The auto resets are nothing more than a bimetallic blade with contacts on one end which heats up and springs open when a certain current is reached. If the short is still present whe the contacts close, the bimetallic spring will heat up and pop open again. It will keep doing this until the short quits. Once they get hot enough, they can quit opening and lead to damage. That's more of a possibility with the lower amperage versions.

Back