Cleaning inside the engine cases and transmission

adi1974

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
hi. I'm gradually getting parts together to rebuild my engine. I'm rebuilding the top and bottom end.

Whats the best way to clean the insides of the cases and the transmission etc before I put it all back together? What sort of cleaning stuff should I use?

I'm putting in a 5th gear over drive but apart from that not disassembling the transmission any further. I want to make sure any old crap that's in there from its previous existence is cleaned out and also anything thats gathered during rebuild / moving workshop. Should I wash parts with acetone or something then re-oil?

My crank has been rebuilt and is clean.

I'd also like to clean my top end stuff too. Had a rebore so thats all clean with new pistons and rings although I wouldn't mind some sort of pre build flush out / wipe down to be sure if thats wise.

Any advice would be great. I've found a fair bit about cleaning the outside but not internal. Thanks in advance guys! I'm in Devon, UK by the way. I know we dont often have the same sort of cleaning stuff but I'm sure there will be equivalents.

Cheers Adi

Thanks Raty. Do you need to then rinse off? With water? Air? Our equivalent in the UK is paraffin.

hey man, I the Uk and Ireland isn't kersone the same as home heating oil, the stuff you use in an oil fired central heating system.

I blast them withbrake cleaner then baking soda inside and out. keep away from any mating suraces and run them through the dishwasher(while the lady is out)

any baking soda left after blasting and washing will desolve in the oil.unlike glass bead just get as much as you can out.

hey nicmcs, not as far as I know but I really dont know much. Everything I've found says the UK equivalent is Paraffin, which I just found for sale in my local garage. I've just bought some Jizer (no joke) to try that too.

Thanks RcRider. I've washed the top end through the dishwasher. Its more a case of a final clean off and rinse I'm interested in.

Do you Kerosene / Paraffin users rinse it off afterwards in water? Or just air dry? I noticed that Jizer is water rinsable.

cheers all

kerosene is pretty oily, hot water and dish soap would probably do it.

Soapy water in the transmission??. Metal and water do not get along ???? K1 does the job, does it will. It provides some rust protection as well as cleans..

Well thats what i thought but I've read a fair few posts by reputable builders that say they rinse off with water before re-oiling so I wondered what the score was. Not heard of K1, I'll look it up. Chances are we don't get it in the UK.

As far as I gathered the motor was apart. Rinse ,dry, oil to keep the steel inserts in the cases from flashing..

I apologize if I just unknowingly told you to put soapy water in an assembled engine :shrug:

hey nicmcs, not as far as I know but I really dont know much. Everything I've found says the UK equivalent is Paraffin, which I just found for sale in my local garage. I've just bought some Jizer (no joke) to try that too.

Thanks RcRider. I've washed the top end through the dishwasher. Its more a case of a final clean off and rinse I'm interested in.

no bother man, best of luck with it.

ps. what is Jizer?? havn't seen that brand.......

Thanks Yami, I think I've had too much wine to understand that page ;) - Devon's rad eh. There's a few experienced motorcycle dudes in my village so I might get their take on it at the weekend

Here in the USA. K-1 kerosene clear liquid some call it white. Used for indoor heaters or lanterns. Home heating oil is K-2 diesel fuel will work. The clear shows metal particles better. The main thing is getting the oil passages clean. Blow out with compressed air to rid the passages of old bits that made it past the screen that was torn. I wipe out with lint free cloth and blow dry

Back