clutch cables?

jonasblack

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 81 special and my clutch cable said buh bye today during my ride home. I shifted clutchless all the way home, and I was wondering what kind of clutch cables are good? are most interchangeable? where can i get them other than mikes?

Watch your length, if you've ditched the "tiller bars" a shorter cable will work better. If you look long and hard you will find a motion pro for the XS650 standard that is a better fit.

I am not familiar with the term "tiller bars" but I have not removed anything from the clutch assembly.I haven not even had the right side cover off yet. I will get there. Actually my clutch is working relatively well since I oiled and adjusted it a little. Except for the part about being harder to pull than I like. I suspect in a congested area it might wear out my left hand. Thought I'd hook up a new cable and go from there. Any thoughts on going Hydraulic?

The long double bend stock handlebars, shorter bars shorter clutch cable.
With everything working, lubed and routed properly the XS650 clutch pull is not heavy.

IMHO no reason to go hydraulic.

Wingman, a thorough oiling of the clutch cable, a smooth (non-kinked) routing of it, and a thorough greasing of the push lever assembly at the lower end of the cable behind the left cover should give you a fairly easy pull on the clutch lever. Unless the inner cable is old and breaking up. The strands can break one- by- one. Or the plastic worm gear in the push lever assembly is in bad condition.

If you use a normal styled cable with the metal elbow on the bottom, the pull can be eased a little more by slightly straightening that elbow. Don't make it totally straight, just about half as bent as it was originally .....

CablesCompared.jpg

ElbowUnmodded.jpg

ElbowModded.jpg

As depicted in the photos, place the elbow in the vise with the cable sheath end hanging out or you'll crimp it shut during the straightening process. Then the outer cable (sheath) won't fit back in.

Anyone knows about a cable without the elbow that fits with lower handlebars? Preferrably sold in Europe.

Hi Wingman,
looks like your tech question got answered before I checked this thread.
But tiller bars is the short form of rototiller bars which is the polite way of describing the ergonomically dreadful bars that the alleged stylists put on the XS650 Specials.
And heavy? Perhaps. Not light for sure.
Not everyone has wrists of iron and if you gotta go hydraulic, go all the way with a straight push system. Those little jacks that work the clutch worm in place of a cable are only a partial fix.

650central sells what he calls an Easy Pull cable, it doesn't have the metal elbow thing on it. The inner core may be a bit long to use with the stock lever. He recommends a different lever.
I had issues once with a stretched cable. On the left cover where the cable goes through, the hole is just the right size to thread for an adjuster like used on the clutch lever perch. Use a regular nut to lock in place, the large thumb wheel of the adjuster won't set flat on the cover.
I'll post a pic. As you see I took the pic with a stock cable. You can see how the adjuster threads into the side cover.
When adjusting the cable I take most of the slack out of the cable with the side cover adjuster then fine tune at the lever.
Leo

Attachments

• LostFile_JPG_105164296.jpg
    LostFile_JPG_105164296.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 234
Yes, I know about Heiden tuning, but couldn't find anyone without the elbow specifically made for my bike. Thanks anyway.

I want to remove the elbow, since that's the part of the cablethat seems to stiffen the cable most.

Yes, I know about Heiden tuning, but couldn't find anyone without the elbow specifically made for my bike. Thanks anyway.
I want to remove the elbow, since that's the part of the cablethat seems to stiffen the cable most.

Hi marp,
look at 5Twin's photo in post #10 of this string.
It shows exactly how to partially straighten that elbow so it runs more smoothly.

If you do straighten the metal piece. . . . don't use heat. They are lined with plastic.

There is hardly any radius on the fitting, correctly routed and periodic oiling will keep it from binding, apart from that you will have to take measurements and ask sellers the measurements of their cables.

Back