Clutch coming out of adjustment

smiles79

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I was riding my '75 the other day. As I was riding, the clutch lever came way out of adjustment. Thinking the adjuster nut thing on the perch just came loose, I tightened it up and went on my way. It was fine until I was just riding a little bit ago and the same thing happened. The adjuster nut things on the perch were tight. It seemed like it started slow, then just kinda fell out of adjustment all at once. Has anyone else experienced this?

Smiles

As they warm up you will get more slack in/at the lever. Nature of the beast.

Last edited:
The plastic worm down in the mechanism could be cracked.
When they crack, and you pull the lever, the mech. mushrooms out, instead of supporting the "push". if you don't find a broken cable, check the worm.

There were a couple broken strands. Safe to say I found my problem?

uploadfromtaptalk1434302210705.jpg

Hey, an easy diagnosis! If only they were all like that...

Does anyone know where I can get a cable with a 39" sheath and about 48" cable? That's what was previously on the bike (I have clubmans) although it was shortened to that length so I suppose I'm just looking for something close that I can buy. Also, I've never installed a clutch cable so if someone could give me a step-by-step or help me out in any way I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Yes, but what handlebars do you have? I have clubmans, and I'm not sure what my best option would be. I don't really have a way to shorten them myself where I am currently living.

In that thread, I'm just using my stock XS1B handlebars. For any custom handlebar setup, you've got to pre-plan the routing and length. You can use your old cable sheath, a rubber tubing, an extension cord, or such, to get the outer sheathing length. Some folks route their cable around the right side of the frame, some to the left of the frame, it varies. Best routing is to get minimal bending of the sheath, shooting for larger radius bends, and direct exits from handlebar perches.

Hopefully, someone with clubmans will chime in...

Cleaning up at the PO's "handywork" is just a blast.

So I got a new EZ Pull cable from 650central and after reading up a little bit I think I know how to install it, but I think the PO has screwed me over a bit here. So if I understand this correctly, the end of the cable slides into the the slot that is circled in the first picture. Is this correct?

Second, I have heard myths of a tang that should be there is hold the cable in place. In the circled portion of the second picture, is that the remnants of said tang that I see? If so, can I buy just that arm or will I need the whole assembly, and where can I get it?

Lastly, How do I remove this plug on the side cover? It seems to just spin and not come out.

Thanks for all your help!

Attachments

• 20150622_180308.jpg
    20150622_180308.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 197
  • 20150622_180257.jpg
    20150622_180257.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 181
  • 20150622_180553.jpg
    20150622_180553.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 199
So my assumption of needing a new arm is correct?

Also, I have the ez pull cable from 650 central. It is a little thick to fit through that slot. Is ok to just widen that slot with a dremel?

Back