Clutch hub swap

ghosty

ghosty
Reaction score
Hey guys, just in the process of a total rebuild, and putting clutch back on the engine of my "76. Got a few questions, firstly will any clutch hub mate up to any clutch basket? On fitting I found the clutch basket with half of the springs broken so managed to scavenge the spare clutch basket from my '71 which is pretty tidy. I thought about hub and matching pressure plate swap too but the'71 has the cushion plate I think it's called which is held in with a wire retainer ( which in the process of removal has become knackered ) and the hub seems to have a different overall height to my other. It was loaded up with thick metal plates and a mixture of 3.5mm and the new 3mm friction plates. I'm worried that if I put my stack of 7 new friction plates and new steel plates in there somethings gonna crap itself with heights and clearances. And if it is a good idea then do I need that wire retainer? :shrug:

Sounds like someone's been fooling with that '71 and has swapped some parts already. A stock '71 clutch wouldn't have that bottom cushioned plate and retaining wire. That hub didn't come along until about 1980. It uses one less friction plate to compensate for that added damper plate (6 frictions instead of 7) and all the frictions were 3mm. Yes, I think you need the retaining wire. The steel plates in the stack should be 1.4mm thick but that bottom damper one is a little thicker @ 1.6mm.

Back