clutch lever resistance or lake of

stewart90

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed some 12" apes on my 1974 and a set of 5" extended cables all from lowbrow. Lowbrow suggests the 5" cables that I bought saying the work perfect for their 12-15 " apes. The problem I'm running into now is that my clutch cable adjuster is backed all the way out and I'm not getting any resistance in the clutch lever, what should I do or what else do I need to buy? With the side cover off the cable still lifts the arm in there but I still have maybe a 1/4" I can lift still lwith my finger that the cable itself doesn't pull up before it becomes just spring stretch

Have you made any adjustments at the worm gear? Is the ball between the plunger in the worm gear and push rod still there?

Yeah what NONclow said.

Last edited:
Is that arm itself ? and is that like the gear shift arm like pulling it off and turning a few teeth ? Sorry if that's a dumb question but I'm at work and new to all this so i can't remember what it looks like in there

The small dome shaped cap behind the "yamaha" cover on the LH side cover can be popped off with a flat head screwdriver, loosen the nut, and with the screwdriver tighten the stud (threaded stud with slot) untill it just seats, then back out 1/8 turn, tighten lock nut. Test.

Alright yeah I know the cap you're talking about . I'll try it out Wednesday when I can see my bike again . ( I drove it to a buddy's house after I cleaned and sync'd the carbs . It drove perfect there but had a few issues when I went to fire it back up so there it sits) :banghead: . When I turn the bars to the right it free rev'd and I'm lost on why . Maybe pinched cable ? But like I said I had new bars and cables on the way so fingers crossed this fixes it

Takes up slack. That is the initial adjustment. You should have the cable adjuster turned completely in to do this. After you adjust it (like NONclow said) you adjust the cable lever slack leaving approx. 1/8" gap between the lever and the perch.
All this would be for naught if the ball is gone.

If you find you need to give the adjuster screw several turns in to get the proper adjustment, you've probably lost the 5/16" ball out of the worm gear.

I don't mean this to be a hi-jack, but I tried using this lower adjuster on my '75 and the lock nut was stuck -- probably never been touched in 39 years... I used a bit of penetrating oil but it didn't help. I am thinking about using a cheater bar to break it loose. Will I tear up the worm gear if I apply too much pressure?

Try this thread: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27981

Found it using the google searchbox on "frozen clutch worm adjuster nut"

This thing really comes in handy:
DummySearch.jpg

Coleman when stuck like that you may want to take it off the side cover and hold the arm in a vice to break it loose. When you tighten it, just snug is fine. It like the oil drain plug tend to tighten.

Stewart, Your welcome

Coleman,The nut on my adjuster was very stuck when I got my XS
I put a socket on and just went for it
the adjuster body turned to apoint and bottomed out the nut finally turned and loosened up

I click and click on that forum search guide for dummies and nothing happens -- Please Please, Twomany help me understand how to use it !!!

Hahaha, LMAO! You got me! I wasn't expecting that!

Found that pic a couple months ago, and it was waiting for just the right moment.

Here, have one of these:
Ignorital(1).jpg

Well I did the worm gear adjustment worked perfect for the cable slack. My problem now is that it won't start . No spark and roles freely in every gear. I'll pop that cover off and back the slotted stud out another 1/8 turn and make it a total of 1/4 turn out. I believe this to be the problem since it seems my clutch seems to be stuck engaged :doh:

Back