Clutch mod thoughts!?

Maroonxs

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post on here but I have been coming here for solutions since I bought my '77 in August. Im newb and you guys have kept me out of a lot of trouble so thanks!! I have been kicking an idea around, let me know what you guys think.

I have been reading up on solutions for xs650 clutch problems for months now. Mainly slipping when it should grip or gripping when it should slip. The 8 plate conversion (3.0mm or thinner 2.5mm alto versions) created quite a buzz but it required a fair amount of machining when converting the '80 and later assy. From what I gather the later 6 plate unit is preferred because of its dampening effect. I'd like to know, has anyone used 7 alto plates on a late 6 plate unit? (2.5*7)+(1.4x6)=25.9mm. Just .9mm thicker than a stock 6 plate pack. A little machining of the steel plates or the pressure plate could bring it to spec. (Could you get away with not removing any material?). Throw on some slightly stronger springs and you have the best of both worlds improved friction and a dampened assy, with minimal alteration. Maybe I'm pretty far off base, your feedback is appreciated!!

Back