Clutch or Transmission issue, won't GO....

RCGRT

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I know that title sounds vague, but that is exactly what it did. Just finished up this rephase build. Upon the first try to disengage (pull clutch lever in) the clutch while the motor is running, I noticed a "shutter" as soon as I dropped it in first. Kept the clutch disengaged and revved it a few times, and it seemed to go away. So I sat, and let it warm up a bit more while in first, then feathered the clutch and let it pull me out to the street (about 60 feet or so away). Once on the street I attempted to release the clutch lever completely as one would normally do (nice and easy)....and as I let it out, it began to pull, but then just kind of shuttered once the lever was all the way out. It did not lock anything up as the motor kept running. I immediately grabbed the clutch and listened...didn't hear anything obvious, tired again, same thing, it just felt like something was binding up.
So. shut it off and back inside...

-The entire clutch assembly came out of my '80 motor that last worked fine (several months ago)
-The rest of the motor came from a '79 parts motor I picked up. At least the po said it was a '79.
-I did replace the 5 gear with mikes overdrive gear.
-From what I read I did not need to replace both of the 5th gears.
-With the bike on a stand, I can shift into first, and by hand turn the clutch hub (simulating the motor turning it) and it feels smooth and turns the rear wheel just fine.
-With a helper I'm able to keep turning the clutch hub by hand and shift thru all gears, noting they all feel smooth and turn the rear wheel as I would expect, I can even feel the difference between each gear as the ratio changes. They all feel smooth, nothing locking up, no metal to metal noises, no grinding. (that I can hear or feel)

Does this sound like something that could be cause by just the clutch?
It really didn't feel like it was just slipping...It was like a shutter, it felt like it wanted to go, but something was stopping it, but not stopping the motor from turning as it kept running.

I did read thru inxs's clutch thread, and I do believe to have all of the thrust washers/bearings/washers in their respective places.

As always, any help is much appreciated
Thanks

Did you make sure of the alignment of the dot on the inner hub and the hole in the pressure plate? Did you re-adjust the clutch at the worm gear and the lever? Just a couple of things that can cause "weird" clutch issues.

Sounds like improper clutch adjustment. Loosen the lever adjuster so as to get plenty of slack, now on the right side cover pop off the small round chrome cover. Loosen the lock nut, back off adjuster screw several turns.
Now spin the scrw in/out a few times to get a good feel for just the screw turning. Once you get the feel turn the screw in until you just feel the increase in resustance. This is the point all slack is removed from the adjuster to the pressure plate. Now turn back out 1/8 to 1/4 turn. This adds in just a bit of freeplay,
Now while holding the adjuster screw from turning snug the lock nut down.
Put the cover back on.
Now up at the lever adjust for 1/8 to 1/4 inch freeplay.
If the clutch is assembled right your clutch will work right.
Leo

Did you make sure of the alignment of the dot on the inner hub and the hole in the pressure plate? Did you re-adjust the clutch at the worm gear and the lever? Just a couple of things that can cause "weird" clutch issues.

The dots were lined up. I did initially set the adjustment at the worm gear, but I also had that cover on and off several times (although I realize that should not matter)... I did not try adjusting either adjustment as it felt really weird, so I just shut it off. Before I knew it I had the clutch side cover off, going over things. Afterthought I should have at least tried backing the adjustments out. As far as I can tell everything within the clutch assembly looks ok. I'm going to go back with it and do like Leo said, make sure that both adjustments are good.

Sounds like improper clutch adjustment. Loosen the lever adjuster so as to get plenty of slack, now on the right side cover pop off the small round chrome cover. Loosen the lock nut, back off adjuster screw several turns.
Now spin the scrw in/out a few times to get a good feel for just the screw turning. Once you get the feel turn the screw in until you just feel the increase in resustance. This is the point all slack is removed from the adjuster to the pressure plate. Now turn back out 1/8 to 1/4 turn. This adds in just a bit of freeplay,
Now while holding the adjuster screw from turning snug the lock nut down.
Put the cover back on.
Now up at the lever adjust for 1/8 to 1/4 inch freeplay.
If the clutch is assembled right your clutch will work right.
Leo

Leo,
Yeah, I did pull the clutch apart and go thru it, as far as I can tell everything is good. I'll button it back up and start from scratch with both adjustments like you said, and take it from there. I just couldn't see how it could feel like that from just the clutch?? Seemed like something was stopping from moving forward.
However, I'm able to run thru all of the gears by hand and they all roll smoothly...

Well I put it back together. Double checked everything as far as the clutch goes. It looks like something is wrong with my first gear. 2nd thru 5th seem to run just fine. It seems to shift down into first, but it does NOT work...
Any ideas what I might check for when I get it split open?

This thread is a good place to start. It has some good info on change lever adjustment and also if you have to split the cases it talks about the 1st/4th gear dogs and fork that may or may not have issues.

Great thread! Thanks man, I'd be willing to bet that's what's up. Also sounds like once those lugs begin slipping away from each other its bound to do some damage to that shift fork. I'll have get in there and find out...

Back