clutch plate spring screws

suthpaw22

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm beginning to really dislike phillips head screws. I'm trying to loosen the clutch plate spring screws to take my clutch off and the screws arent budging... At all! In fact, I'm actually starting to strip the heads. I've hit it with pb blast, held my t handle screw driver firm in place and nope!!:wtf::banghead:

Anyone have any alternative suggestions and does anyone know of a replacement allen head screw for these?

mikes sells a replacement for them, kit costs about 30 bux http://www.mikesxs.net/products-22.html#products about half way down

tech section here on the forum has a DIY article on making your own instead of paying the 30 bux

you need to use an impact driver to get the screws out (that screw driver thing you hit with a hammer) they'll pop right out with one of those

i'd get my own, i use the thing constantly on my 650

48&wid=248&op_sharpen=1&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.jpg

pick one up max $20

IF you just can't wait for an impact tool and you realize the consequences of stripping the head. put a #3 phillips bit in the head give it a smart hit with a hammer then try loosening the screw, this often works and it's a good idea even if you have an impact wrench on boogered up heads. It seats the bit, can loosen the threads and reshapes the screw head a bit.

Get a hand impact tool they are better than an air powered impact wrench for phillips screws and those clutch screws are some of the worst anywhere. About every store that sells tool has em starting at about 10 or 15 dollars. :bike:

I just got on here having the same problem with my clutch. I used my impact driver and rounded the only bit I had so I'm buying more tomorrow and hopefully I can get them to budge

Back