clutch pushrod bushing question

Grinder

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
On Mike's site it says to install the bushing flush with the end of the shaft. My original is installed deeper and is even with the inner edge of the countersinked recess. Which is correct?

Its a dirty pic but you get the idea. The seal should be flush with the outside of the cases. It should not be flush with the indent to keep the seal in place. If you look at a seal there is a raised edge/rim running down the center. This extra rubber fills the countersunk recess.

dsc035861.jpg

Not talking about the seal. The bushing inside that the pushrod runs through. Mine is recessed past the end of the shaft. Mike's site says to install flush with the end of the shaft.

Attachments

• IMG_0935 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_0935 (1024x768).jpg
    105 KB · Views: 91
I don't see why it would matter which position, as long as it's snug, and it doesn't interfere with the seal.

Just did one of these. As above, it doesn't matter. basically mallet it in until you can mallet no more, then it's done.

You're doing the one piece pushrod too, right? :D

Yep, doing the one piece pushrod. The old 2 piece rod felt kind of sloppy in the bushing but the one piece feels much tighter. I can see where that would be much easier on the seal. I also wanted to check the sprocket nut because of all the stories I've heard. Once I straightened out the lock tab, I unscrewed the nut by hand. How can something that's suppose to be torqued to 80+ ft lbs be so loose?

I don't understand that myself. Many have found the nut that loose. Myself included. Get it tight and it fixes one leak.
Leo

Back