Clutch Pushrod Snapped

Uhlaf

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
This morning I was riding to work as I have all season, I pull away from a stop light and I lose clutch feeling, I limp into a parking lot and find that I'm gushing oil out the stator side cover. I pushed the XS the 2km to work and at lunch took the cover off to find what I assume is the push rod snapped off and sitting at the bottom of the cover.

I have never heard of this happening. So...
#1 how could this happen
#2 how do I get the remains out
#3 where do I get a replacment?

Attachments

• IMG_20160912_122147.jpg
    IMG_20160912_122147.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_20160912_071258.jpg
    IMG_20160912_071258.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 206
Well, I guess that's a part of the pushrod you're holding. Looks bent. Maybe that weakened it and that's why it broke? Can't say I've ever heard of it before though. But, was that an original part or a replacement from MikesXS? The ones from Mike's are rather soft and it wouldn't surprise me if one broke. I recently replaced my Mike's long rod because of wear on the ends. After 10K miles, they were badly dimpled and to the point of shedding steel bits .....

Pushrods2.jpg

Needless to say, I won't be using that part from Mike's anymore, especially since N.O.S. originals can be had for nearly the same price off eBay .....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-76-YAM...ash=item2ca96dc5d5:g:42wAAOSwwpdW3MzT&vxp=mtr

As far as I know it was original. Is there a consensus on which style pushrod is superior?

Well, many of us prefer the earlier long one piece rod as opposed to the later two piece and ball assembly. The one long rod flexes or "wiggles" less in the bushing and seal. That means less wear to the bushing and better oil sealing. The one I linked you to is the older long rod. Mike's gets about $17 now for their shit copy of that. You're much better off with an original.

Your '81 should have the two piece set-up unless it was changed. The long rod will replace these 3 parts. Save the ball for a spare in case you ever lose the one in the worm gear .....

Pushrod.jpg

Last edited:
The usual gross destruction of a push rod is when a severely neglected, worn out, chain/spocket skips a tooth and mangles it. Would be helpful to see a pic under the cover.

Yes, looking at your chain in your second pic, it looks terribly loose. It's got a giant sag in the top run and is pretty much laying right on the swingarm.

Interesting Gary, I'll snap a pick when I replace the rod. If so, I've got no one to blame but yours truly. Another reason to methodically check your vitals.

You will of course need a new push rod seal and most likely a push rod bushing. You may have to remove the other side cover and clutch end cover to drive the remains of the pushrod out. If you got REAL lucky you didn't do this to your cases. The red circle is where the chain link hit the cover support leg, the purple circle is where the support leg broke the case as the chain pushed it sideways. The crack usually extends to a shift drum bearing support bore, pretty much game over for the engine. I have two sets of cases with this damage from a stretched chain. (got the bikes with the damage done) I wouldn't run a stretched chain, worn out sprockets at my older and a bit wiser age.

Attachments

• case pin 004.JPG
    case pin 004.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 168
  • crackcase 001.JPG
    crackcase 001.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 175
I should have been more vigilant, every 1000 miles I would do the valves, cam chain, and oil and would visually inspect the sprockets (which are still very meaty after 5k miles) and yank on the chain which only ever had 1-2 inches of travel, I never realized how low it was as I hardly ever remove the left hand cover. The smaller 30 toothed probably doesn't help at all.

Live and learn, hopefully this lesson doesn't cost me an engine.

We'll keep hoping for you, the ones I have seen skip had REALLY bad front sprockets, not much more than nubs left for teeth.....

Interesting read,especially regarding the Poor Mikes replacement product!
I was wondering (as my 77 has the 2 piece rod) when did Yamaha decide to change
from 1 piece and why.Thx

1" to 2" of freeplay on the chain is kinda loose. The manual calls for 20mm (3/4"). But, there are some things to keep in mind. First, sit on the bike when you check the freeplay. You sitting on it compresses the shocks some which raises the swingarm to a more horizontal position, and this tightens the chain a little more. The other thing is chains usually stretch unevenly. They have tight and loose spots. You'll want to do the 3/4" setting at a tight spot.

...I was wondering (as my 77 has the 2 piece rod) when did Yamaha decide to change from 1 piece and why...

The earliest parts manual I've found that shows the 2-piece pushrod is for the 1976 XS650C.
We believe that it was to reduce "hot" slackening of the clutch adjustment, with the expanding aluminum inner rod...

Good news, looks like I got extremely lucky and there only appears to be a small nick and no case damage.

I also noticed that my rear wheel was squeaking against the right arm of the swingarm which leads me to believe that there was a perfect storm of bad decisions that lead to the right real wheel adjustment giving way a little which gave the chain slack to jump off the sprocket to knacker my pushrod.

Lesson learned, parts ordered. While I'm in there and the season being over I'll have some time to clean everything up, switch some sprockets around and ponder my life choices.

Attachments

• IMG_20161112_134416.jpg
    IMG_20161112_134416.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 146
Back