Clutch replacement. What should I replace?

xsnolan

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey XS!

I've got a (new to me) 1979 xs650 special. I took it out for a spin the other day and when I accelerate quickly the clutch is slipping.

What would you suggest replacing? plates, springs, drive plates, etc?

What are your thoughts?

Welcome to the forum, xsnolan.

Normally, if all else is in good order, just the friction/fibre plates need replacing.

But, my crystal ball just clouded, so won't really know until you get in there.

Read the clutch threads, be prepared for anything...

I find the springs to be the usual culprit. I've found the need to replace them on pretty much any wet clutched Jap bike I've ever owned. The stock friction plates seem to be pretty robust and I've never found the need to replace them. Do inspect and measure them though. New measurement is 3mm thick and most I've encountered are still at or very close to that. Wear limit is 2.7mm.

Check the plain plates for bluing as they can get very hot and distort, this is the cause of most clutch slip on mine.

if its a new-to-you bike, replace the frictions, and the drives, Stronger springs and do the next owner a favor--spring for the capscrew clutch spring mod. Once its all back to gether, you will be glad you did.

Welcome. I would try adjusting the clutch and change the oil with motorcycle oil first. New springs might fix it as 5twins suggested. New Forodo clutches and springs from 650 Central are your best bet.

Plus one on the scabber FIRST A full round of cable, lube, routing, straighten the elbow a bit, clutch perch/lever check for worn pivot, lube, THEN adjust the clutch free play with the adjuster screw lock nut on the LH access cover.

NOW if the clutch still slips it's time to go in, like 5twins says start with stronger springs, that's pretty simple IF you follow directions. Use a #3 phillips bit in a hand impact tool to loosen the spring retainer bolts. fuggle those screw heads, MANY HAVE! and it will be a much more $erious project.

A hand impact tool is $10 or less and your tool box really needs one.

The 79 clutch is one of the better years and tends to work fine until the motor is built up to fairly serious horsepower.
All that said; I have seen PO's that were able to ruin what should have been a no problem clutch with bad riding technique.

Oil was mentioned. Car oils have friction modifiers that make wet clutches slip.
Tie the clutch lever back to the grip. Drain the oil over night. This lets the oil on the plates drain out. Put in an oil that is approved for wet clutches. All motor cycle oils and deisel oils are approved. On the back of the jug look for a JASO MA or MA2 rating. This means the oil was tested and approved for wet clutches.
Leo

Thanks XS! I've got some new plates, springs and drives on the way. A bit of lubrication was needed and straitened the elbow feels a lot better for cable friction.

Thanks for the tips can't wait to open it up and see what's inside. Let you know how she goes.

New clutch in and rollin!

Solved the slip problem and feels great. Followed some vids on youtube by nightflyer12345, awesome by the way. The clutch must have been a little sticky because it wouldn't kick into gear without stalling. I bomb started it and that solved that problem.

Thanks to everyone

Good riding!

image2.jpg
old clutch

image3.jpg
good as new

New clutch in and rollin!

Solved the slip problem and feels great. Followed some vids on youtube by nightflyer12345, awesome by the way. The clutch must have been a little sticky because it wouldn't kick into gear without stalling. I bomb started it and that solved that problem.

Thanks to everyone

Good riding!

Righton1 It's good to see you got her going :thumbsup:
Happy my videos helped too.

I just did my clutch over the weekend . I changed it all fibers plates springs and that pressure bearing . Mikes XS has a complete kit. The Bearing was extra. Bike rips with a new clutch.

Back