Clutch rod seal

XSive650

Let's Ride!
Reaction score
O/K I'm gettin a little pissed. I've replaced my clutch push rod seal a few times without a problem. Changed it again when I put on new chain and sprockets. Leaked like f-ing crazy. Had a spare so I changed it again same result. What am I doing wrong or what is the secret?? Does it need to be driven in straight and just flush with the case??

Why have you had to change it 3 or 4 times? I just did it once so far, I beveled the case a bit with a utitlity knife and used a socket as a driver. Smeared a little anti seize on the outside of the seal as lube, so far so good. Maybe your bushing has worn enough that the clutch rod tears it right back out. Replace the bushing yet? Several have recommended the one piece clutch rod also.

I replaced the bushing the 1st time I changed the seal and went with a one piece clutch rod. maybe I need to retrim the edge again. It was starting to weep a little and I change it out whenever I change my chain and sprockets. Just never had a problem and it's a pretty simple process. The rear of my bike is well water proofed right now with mobil 1 oil.

Waterproofed love it. A ridden XS never has rusty rear spokes. How many miles are you putting on the bike? "whenever I change the chain". I suspect about 5 or 10K between seal changes should be considered basic maintenance.

It's a bitch to get in, the best way to replace it is when you split the case but obviously not everyone's going to be doing that. I found a heavier grease like bearing grease works good after you chamfer the edges with a knife and ensure there is no sharp edges.

I pushed in the bottom first so I could get the best seal at the bottom then used a brass punch and lightly tapped the top into place. The edge smeared off a little at the top but it holds the oil no prob.

I always buy 2 or 3 everytime i replace them on a bike.

ps. If its leaking out of the middle where the pushrod goes in, you might have a bent pushrod.

That synthetic oil is probably leaking out easier than dino oil would.

Back