Clutch Upgrades?

davem222

davem222
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am going to have to open up the ol' clutch. Anyone have suggestions on the best/easiest/most cost effective upgrades to do while I'm in there? Grazi!

Dave

Replace the springs. Get one of the good brand names offered by 650Central, not the no-name ones from Mike's. Measure the friction plate thickness. They're usually OK but check them to make sure. Pull the hub and inspect the coil damper springs on the back. If any are broken, you'll need a different hub or the repair kit. It's usually cheaper just to buy a used replacement clutch off eBay. If you need to do that and your bike is a '79 or older, consider getting an '80 or newer clutch. They have a dampened bottom plate and engage smoother. They are easier on those hub springs because of this.

Any rec on which springs to get? I have a 79 2F, will both the Ferodo and Barnett work with a stock clutch setup? Seems like the free lengths are different, does that make a difference?

While apart inspect the steel plates. They are just stamped out. This process leaves a slightly rounded egde one one side and a sharp edge on the other. Use a medium to coarse sand paper to remove this sharp edge.This alolows the plates to slide in the basket and on the hub with less binding.
Also use that sand paper to clean off any discoloration on the steel plates. This will roughen the surfaces a bit and provide a better grip.
Leo

Ooooh, awesome Leo, thanks :) Do you guys think it's a good idea to swap out my 2 piece pushrod for the longer one piece while I'm at it? Is it generally better?

Dave

I went to the one-piece pushrod because the two-piece ones have a tendency to wear the oil seal and the bushing more quickly.

So, looks like the clutch hub cush springs are broken (2 of them actually). I'm having a trouble finding a post 80 hub on ebay, or any hub for a reasonable price. Are there any other models who's clutches are an easy swap onto an xs650? Maybe ones that are even better?

The outer hub with the damper springs is the same at least back to '74. Just the inner changed in '80. That should provide you with a bigger selection. Keep watching, deals do come along.

Lol, upgrades won't matter anyway if I can't figure out what's wrong with the darn clutch/transmission ha ha ha. Sigh. Seems like my 650 is like my younger brother. I love em to death but sometimes I just want to push it into a ditch.

On the pushrods, the long one piece rod is less wear on the bushing and seal. The two piece rod with the aluminum inner rod has less cold to hot variation in adjustment.
The very slight advantage on expansion rates isn't really worth the excessive bush and seal wear.
Leo

Hmmm, just got in a bunch of goodies from Mikes (the springs and plates are coming from 650central). I have what I thought was a long one piece pushrod but it seems a bit on the short side. How long should the long one piece one be? Thanks.

Dave

Back