Clutch worm gear

mofosheee

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello XS650 forum
I have a NOS but "uncut" sprocket cover for my XR 750 undergoing restoration. The attachment shows that female threads for the worm gear were never cut. The exact replacement part is unobtainable and fat chance finding somebody who would cut the threads. I've looked

Yamaha uses a similar system to actuate the XS650 clutch (attachment) as the XR750.
The Yamaha part I found on EBay is very close in size, but a little too small.

My intent is to mill the ears off theYamaha part, mill the HD sprocket cover to accept the Yamaha part and pin it in place.

Is there anybody out there in forum world who has knowledge of a slightly larger clutch worm gear assembly?

Yamaha clutch screw housing.jpg
XR750 clutch release ramp2.jpg
XR750 clutch release ramp2.jpg
Yamaha clutch screw housing.jpg XR750 clutch release ramp2.jpg

Thank you XS650 forum

s-l1600.jpg

It might be easier to source a Suzuki unit that comes with the spiral gear inside a bearing cage with ball bearings in it. It seems easier to modify the case or the clutch mechanism with this design. It also has a steeper spiral, so you get more linear travel for the same amount of lever movement. They were used from the early 80's up until the last of the Katanas, and probably are still in use by some models.

There was a fella here that modified a Royal Enfield clutch actuator for his XS. Said it worked very well. I picked one up a while back but haven't done anything with it yet. What I like about it is that it uses ball bearings instead of a worm. That means much less friction. If it can be modified for the XS, it should also be doable for your application. I'll see if I can find his notes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224596945668?hash=item344b056b04:g:vX4AAOSwRLZUDYbH

Untitled.png

Back