Clymer/Haynes discrepancy - 1977D

DanielBlack

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I've been tearing into the electrical diagram for the 77D and have come across a discrepancy between the Clymer and Haynes manuals.

The very good, colored diagram (Jayel) gggGary posted on a thread recently matches the Haynes.

I believe Haynes (R, below) is correct in this matter.

Take note of which terminal the R/Y and Blue wires are attached to the main ignition switch.
IMG_20170120_170259095.jpg

Last edited:
Well, the bike I re-wired was a '76 and I sure noticed some oddball stuff on the diagrams. Aside from that, I found it extremely difficult to tell the difference between the brown wires and the black ones.

Last edited:
I've been tearing into the electrical diagram for the 77D and have come across a discrepancy between the Clymer and Haynes manuals.

The very good, colored diagram gggGary posted on a thread recently matches the Haynes.

I believe Haynes is correct in this matter.

Take note of which terminal the R/Y and Blue wires are attached to the main ignition switch.
View attachment 93729

here is a diagram I found

77XS650.jpg

Yes, that looks to be a copy of the Haynes.

The section I'm looking at here, the ignition switch's R/Y vs L, seems to be accurate. I checked function on my bike, but didn't look at the wires themselves.

Edited for clarification.

Last edited:
But where was that found ? Looks to have been copied straight from the Haynes manual.......Really is important to post the source if your going to use it as a confirmation/X reference.

Jayel's could be copied from that. I have found some mistakes on Jayel's wiring diagrams as well. The ones i posted in the Wiring thread, Tech Menu.

But where was that found ? Looks to have been copied straight from the Haynes manual.......Really is important to post the source if your going to use it as a confirmation/reference.

Jayel's could be copied from that. I have found some mistakes on Jayel's wiring diagrams as well. The ones i posted in the Wiring thread, Tech Menu.

The colored diagram to which I refered is Jayel's.

In my pic above, Clymer (L), Haynes (R).

Headed over to the wiring thread. Thanks.

I was referring to the Black and white diagram and that could not be used as a confirmation to your manuals diagram because the source may have been from the manual.

Last edited:
FWIW - I used about 4 different diagrams when I did my bike. I could not seem to find one that had everything correct - or at least that matched my motorcycle.

Yes that 74/75/76 looks to be troublesome. Posting the differences we might be able to do some corrections to a diagram

Back