Coil Protection

xsfreak

xs650 noob
Reaction score
Hey guys
I was doing some work on my bike yesterday afternoon. When i was done apparently I left the key on which fried my coil but my pamco was protected by 7.5 amp fuse which also blew. Is there away to protect the coil if the key is left on accidentally? Sorry if this has been covered before. Thanks Dave

On the most recent Pamco's they have a safety device that shuts off the power if you leave the key on. This protects the coil. It turns back on when it senses the engine turning over.
I can't think any devices that you can add that will help with this.
Maybe turning the engine stop switch to the off position will help. It does turn off the power to the ignition.
I always turn the engine off with the engine stop switch. Only turn it on to run the engine. A good habit to learn.
Leo

Take the key out of the damned ignition if you are not starting the bike? Works for me. I have no idea if my lowly Dyna coil would fry or not, being that it's not a "monster" el stupido ridiculously over-achieving unit, just a good quality standard duty coil that is far superior to stock, and I suspect, does not have the vulnerability of the over-dog coils to burning up. In the end, if you do not have the presence of mind to manage the energization of a machine you are manipulating, you just might not be mechanically inclined. I am an aircraft tech, and the wrong thing energized at the wrong time can kill, so just maybe I pay more attention than most, but it's no less important on a lessor machine.

coil protection ?
cr-color.jpg

Use as directed and remember to use appropriate colors .
Don't leave home with out them !

Back