Collector Vehicle Licensing - Do you?

Mister Mellow

Big Dreams, Thin Wallet
Reaction score
A side-discussion occurred in this thread, in which a member asked about collector plates:

Let the Heritage Go Today...

Rather than revive the thread to enquire further, I'll ask here: Do you register your bike as a "collector" vehicle (or some similar category, providing your state allows for this)?

I just registered my '77 as a collector vehicle, on the advice of a cop friend. The advantages are: one-time fee, renewal is not required, and the plate is transferable. If you own the vehicle for more than three years, it pays off.

In the State of Washington, a collector plate may be issued as long as the vehicle is:
  • At least 30 years old;
  • Operated primarily as a collector vehicle and in good running order; and
  • Only used for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and occasional pleasure driving.
(Excerpted from RCW 46.18.220)

We also have special licensing categories like veterans, Pearl Harbor survivors and square dancers. :shrug: Interestingly, instead of having the state issue a collector plate, you can use a plate that was a "Washington state issued license plate designated for general use in the year of the vehicle's manufacture." So if you have a '32 Ford and want to put a license plate on it that was in use in 1932 (it doesn't have to be from that car), you can use it as your license number, as long as it doesn't duplicate an existing number.

I feel a little silly about getting a collector plate if I don't even know whether I'm going to restore it or not, but my friend said that all the state cares about is the age and intended use. There is no mention in the state law of authenticity, just age.

Again, do you register your bikes or other vehicles as collector vehicles? Does your state require some degree of authenticity or conformance to the originally manufactured vehicle design?

last year, i registered my 67 fairlane as a collector, then the freeze plug blew out.
so, since it isnt running, you dont have to tell anyone, just get it running, and it will be fine.
and yeah, i dont understand why there is so many different plates here in wash. and they look like they would be easy to fake, they look printed.
do other states have all these square-dancing, pearl harbor, purple heart, emt, fireman, style plates?
it dosnt have to be restored. i guy in town here has a hulk, all rusty, and clapped out with collector plates. look around, you would be surprised at some of the cars with these plates. just a loophole for the cheapskates.

We have collector's plates in Ohio as well. I think the guide lines are very similar too. They ask "you don't drive this daily?" and give you a dirty look at the license bureau when you say you want them. As long as you keep your cool you can get them for anything old. lol Think I might get a ticket if I was caught driving my rusted out 78 Chevy truck with collector's plates though. I'd feel completely comfortable riding my original 75 XS650 all over with them though. I might have to get them now!

P.S. HAHA! I just looked...in Ohio the collector's plate for a motorcycle is the same size as a regular passenger car plate! That would be huge on the back of my bike.....nevermind!

In Kansas we have antique tags. Vehicle has to be over 35 years old. There is a pretty stiff fee the first year, I think I paid about 60 bucks. But after that it is 10 bucks a year and they don't even send you a yearly sticker. I have antique tags on my 73 TX650 and my 75 R90. It's great.

I don't. In NY you can only drive in parades and shows, and back and forth to those places.
I like to ride any time any where. And the regular tags are $17 a year.
Leo

Just got my first collector MC plate last week for the 79F and have one coming for the XS1 We have home built plates too for "non stock" vehicles but they are not "readily" available for MCs
The Collector plates don't expire you pay for 2 years license ( we pay bike plates two years at a time) they can be transferred, there are no operating limitations outside no January riding! You must have a least one regular license plate in your name.

Here's a link to the Texas web site. Requirements shown on form.

Can use year-model plate, with approval

25 years old or more.

No operating restrictions noted.

I use historical vehicle plates on my bikes. Ohio has similar rules to the other states mentioned. A one time fee until 2050 at which point my XS may still be around but I'll be pushing up daisies (unless I make it to 100). The plate has specific rules about errands and commuting but I'm hoping I can get away with pleasure riding.

Tom

I have a friend that always tells them he is going to a "private" showing! We don't have restrictions in Texas. He runs his '49 Chevy 2 door in Ohio.

Don't see the point myself. Why set yourself up for restrictions and expense?

I don't ride mine daily, but I want to ride it when, where and how often I damn please.

Free plates, what's better'n that?

Wisconsin;
Collector license plates

collector.gif

Vehicles that qualify

A motor vehicle at least 20 years old that is being preserved because of its historical interest is eligible for Collector license plates. The current calendar year minus 20 equals the newest model year eligible for Collector registration.
Vehicles altered or modified from the original manufacturer's specifications do not qualify for Collector license plates but may be eligible for Hobbyist license plates. See form MV2388 for Hobbyist license plate qualifications, instructions and application.
The following former military vehicles also qualify for Collector plates, even if they have been altered or modified:

• GMC DUKW ("Duck") six-wheel drive utility vehicle originally manufactured for use by the U.S. military forces during World War II that is at least 25 years old.
  • Humvee multipurpose wheeled vehicle originally manufactured for use by the U.S. military forces that is at least 22 years old.
  • Kaiser Jeep M715 that is at least 25 years old.
  • Pinzgauer all-terrain, four- or six-wheel drive vehicle that is at least 25 years old.
Things you should know

• To qualify for Collector license plates, each collector vehicle owner must own or lease at least one other motor vehicle for regular transportation with current, valid registration in Wisconsin under the same name(s) as the collector vehicle.
  • Collector registration is twice the regular annual registration fee for the type of vehicle. There is also a one-time issuance fee of $50 for the first collector vehicle registered by the owner. Please refer to the fee chart below.
  • Collector registration does not expire for as long as you own the vehicle. However, Collector registration is not valid during the month of January. For operation in January, the collector vehicle must have temporary registration, which is available for five consecutive days or the full month. Use form MV2750 to apply for temporary registration.
  • WisDOT assigns a Collector license number to the owner of the collector vehicle. If the owner registers other collector vehicles, WisDOT issues the same collector number with a letter suffix to each collector vehicle owned by the same person. Example: If WisDOT issues Collector plate number 99999 to a collector vehicle owner, the owner's next collector vehicles will receive plate numbers 99999A, 99999B, etc. Collector license plates cannot be personalized.
  • Except for historic military vehicles, truck type vehicles with Collector plates cannot haul more than 500 pounds. To determine the approximate weight, use the weight of the vehicle with a full tank of gas and the equipment normally on the vehicle. Do not include the weight of a camper, lid or cap that is mounted on the truck or the weight of any persons or pets.
  • If a truck was manufactured with a flatbed frame, it qualifies for COL plates and may tow a fifth wheel recreational vehicle trailer (the weight of the trailer is not counted with the weight of cargo in the truck). Trucks altered from original manufacturer's specifications to accommodate a fifth wheel recreational vehicle trailer do not qualify for COL plates, but may qualify for Hobbyist plates.
  • Except for motorcycles, which receive one plate, WisDOT issues two Collector license plates that must be displayed on the vehicle.
  • The owner of a vehicle with Collector license plates may register other vehicles he/she owns or leases with Collector special license plates. Collector special license plates expire annually and are available for autos, trucks (registered at 8,000 pounds gross weight or less), farm trucks (registered at 12,000 pounds gross weight) and motor homes.
  • For more information, visit personalized and special plates FAQs.
How to apply

All Collector license plate applications must be mailed to the address below. Collector plates are not available or processed at DMV customer service centers. Send the following items:

1. A completed and signed Collector License Plates Application form MV2323.
  2. Pictures of the engine compartment, interior and exterior of the vehicle, and all sides.
  3. If the vehicle you wish to register with Collector plates is already titled in your name and
    • is currently registered, send a copy of your Certificate of Registration.
    • is not currently registered, send the actual Certificate of Title (not a photocopy).

Wisconsin's requirements are much more restrictive, but having the distinction between collector and hobbyist makes better sense than Washington's flat 30-years-old rule. Like nine-iron said, a rusty old '78 Chevy truck would qualify (that is, if you belong to the Rusty Old Chevy Truck Club). The no-January restriction is odd. What's the reason for this, do you know?

How about permanant plates from the get-go? In Montana, all motorcycles (trailers, watercraft and maybe other things?) receive permanent plates regardless of age! Brand new motorcycle? Yup, permanent plate. Works on other vehicles too (cars, pickups). Must be 11 years old at a minimum for them - up to and including RV's. Even works with personalized plates. Cost? Roughly 3X annual fee at the outset for pickups/cars/RV's. Haven't paid a visit to the ladies at the licensing bureau in a number of years. While I miss the banter I can't say I miss the annual expense - time or money. License plate backgrounds are diverse too - at least for cars/pickups and such (the standard sized plates). Must be over 50 kinds available. Everything from plates honoring National Parks (Yellowstone, Glacier) to boy/girl scouts, wildlife (animals I guess?), rodeo, colleges, organic gardening, and probably even global warming.............Wesley

Back