compression testing question

dedede

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Building 78 cafe style bike now working on frame,suspension, brakes,ect. Engine is on stand no carbs and no exhaust. Decided I would check compression I put a little oil in each cylinder and cranked by hand. Then used jump pack on starter and came up with 250 on one side 175 on the other I have done nothing to the motor yet 22000mi started it when purchased and run it for a minute. Is this normal for a bike that sat with no adjustments. Any helpful comments welcome.

Attachments

• DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 1_2012-02-28_16.15.48.jpg
    1_2012-02-28_16.15.48.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 35
Define "a little oil"? 250/175 are not normal (believable?) XS650 numbers, take the plugs out, crank it for a while to blow out excess oil then test compression again. If the starter is spinning it good about 150 155 is a healthy engine. anything over 100 is acceptable for one that hasn't run for quite a while. I kinda doubt you could kick over an engine with 250 of compression. The highest I have seen out of an XS650 is 170, rumour was it had a 750 kit but no way to know for sure now.

Thanks gary for your reply I was hoping to here from you or one of the other gurus. I have been snooping here for sometime during this little build and have a lot of respect for your knowledge. An ounce or so of oil in each cylinder cranked by hand and then with jump pack I an now engine expert but have been tinkering since the early 70s it seemed real high to me after reading many posts here.

The old saw on compression testing, is the cylinders should be close to each other and that, that matters more than the number.
PS I am no guru, just an old fart.
Leak down is more useful but a real (NOT harbor fright) gauge is serious money.
More better answers should be coming along.
Yeah we want to hear the results of a retest.

OK rechecked today 175 and 173 wish I had a picture of the 250 thanks for the posts. WhenI get time I'll post pics of the build.

Back