Considering selling

donmillerx

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I might've bit off more than I can chew. Got a lot on my plate right now and I'm considering selling, although I might change my mind tomorrow... it's snowy here in detroit right now. ;) My question is, what if anything, should I do to prep it for sale. Just ordered a new exhaust and was considering a paint job, new tires, even carbs etc. Doubt I'll get half of what I put into this project already. And chances are the next owner won't dig my style anyway right? Would love an "appraisal" from somebody that knows these bikes.
Is Craig's the best free, local source? Would any of you ever buy a bike without a test ride?? How do these dealerships sell a bike without offering one???
I'm sure I've got a lot more vague questions but like I said, not sure If I'm really ready to let her go!

77' xs650

Attachments

• IMG_1860.jpg
    IMG_1860.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 176
as for the test rides, sure you can test ride it, but im holding the cash in my hand before you move 1" on the bike - you don't like something on your test ride then here's your money back.

Ive sold alot on craigs list and eBay - i find i tend to get more money on eBay, but you get stuck with dead beat bidders from time to time. As for craigs list, you get to deal with someone usually local and less hassle ie shipping etc - but you get alot of tire kickers.

dont sell it!! Just stash it in a corner somewhere. Its not a horse, or something that needs constant maintenance.
If you sell it, in a couple years, you'll regret it.

The bike looks tidy, don't spend money if it doesn't need it.

A good clean and polish to make the bike look loved. The buyer may like to do things to it to make it his/her own and if it looks clean, tidy and ride able that is enough. If the bike is not road legal then a safety slip or what ever you have in the states stating what is needed to be done, then the buyer is secure in knowing what he/she is up against, then it can become a bargaining chip on the price, X amount with the work done or W amount without. Have the carbs tuned, timing done and new points, (if it has them), done and any parts you have spare then box them up to go with the bike, another bargaining chip , if the try to beat you down then take away the parts. Don't replace the headers or exhaust unless they are rusty, if, (as it looks on your photo ), they have shoe marks just clean as best and polish, again just looks used, loved and ride able. Have receipts for any parts you have bought for the bike or any mechanical work you have had done. If you have done it your self then go into detail about how and what you have done. Again with the tires, if the tread is legal but worn then they can also be a bargaining chip, "I will put new tires on it for this price or you can take it away for this price.........Be firm on what you want for it and if you feel the buyer is a tire kicker then tell him not to wast your time and PISS OFF:laugh:...........Good advice from slothy, no money no ride

NO money NO ride,had a guy years ago wreck one on a test ride left it there walked back to my house and said bike is down the road in ditch he dont think he wants it :boxing::boxing:

Don't know if it makes a difference or not but between here and the garage there are about 6 guys in the metro area and 2 or 3 other farther out. We are talking about perhaps having a couple of rides this summer. Anyway if you keep the bike might be fun.

You never know what kind of responses you'll get on any given forum but you guys are great. Always good info. Thanks.
Been shopping around for a storage unit but they're not cheap.
I'm considering posting it for $2,500 if you're interested gentlemanjim. I've got a lot more invested into it but never considered it an investment anyway, right... haha.

Back