convert from old brake/taillight to led

vintagemotocrosser

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, or Gals.. I am building a street tracker & am having trouble converting to an led taillight. the new led light has only three wires green, yellow & brown.. The old system uses 2 blues, two yellows & two blacks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I purchased the taillight off of ebay & it did not come with any instructions or diagram. I also switched over to led mini turn signals & they do not blink. Do I need to add something in line to produce a load ?

Thanks
Jeff G

For the tail/brake most people just get an led replacement bulb that fits the socket(s). 1156 or 1157, I never can keep them straight. The cheapest versions of those aren't bright enough. Also, they're configured to point straight back or to the side. For '80 and up you want the straight back version. A lot of people have had a problem with the stock flasher and led flasher bulbs. I think you need to get a flasher that's specifically for led bulbs.

tail and brake
Grab a meter or test light first. ground the black wire on the meter or light
turn your key on.
find the wire with 12v, that is your taillight
step on the brake and find the other one with 12v, that is your brake light
now connect the green wire from the led to ground and test out your led light and light up the set of lights that is brightest with your known brake light wire, that is your brakelight circuit.
then connect the taillight wire and you are done.
you do need to install a LED compatible flasher to make the blinkers flash.
hope that helps

note: I am assuming that the green on the LED is the ground wire, and the yellow and brown are brake and tail lights.

And if you want to use just one led light, use one set of the blue, yellow, and black, and just leave the other set unconnected.

oh yeah forgot you have 2 sets stock, the brake and tail are going to be 2 diferent colors.

On your bike the blue wire is the tail light. The yellow is the brake light and the blacxk is ground.
On your LED tail light you need to figure out which wire is which.
On your turn signals you need to swap the stock flasher for an LED compatible flasher. The LF1-S-Flat from www.superbrightleds.com is $8.95 and can flash just one led or up to 150 watts of lights.
When you get the flasher remove the plastic from the leads. One lead is grey or red, the other black. Hook the grey or red lead in the stock flasher socket where the brown wire is, the black lead in the brown/white wire. The self cancelor won't work but that did work right any way.
Leo

Back