Copper Cap Mikes XS

CantGetRight

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey all you cool cats and kittens, I recently made the mistake of Buying a pma and electronic ignition from mikes xs, but I can’t seem to find a part that looks like an aluminum cap that I’ve read was only added to the kit later on.would anyone have this available or know where I could buy it?

Attachments

• 17841EB7-CDF9-4B2F-84AC-5B6B385A9011.png
    17841EB7-CDF9-4B2F-84AC-5B6B385A9011.png
    805.3 KB · Views: 122
Mike's used to sell Pamco Pete's ignition. Mike's now sells an XS PMA and ignition. In so doing Pamco Pete has stopped production.
Pete built several version of his ignition. The basic just replaced the points. Another version had an add in blue box to control the advance. The latest version had the advance built on the sensor plate.
The adapter in your pic is one Pete designed to remove the stock mechanical advance and lock the advance rod to the cam, when you used one of his ignitions with the advance.
Pete used a copper cap at first but they didn't hold up well if the nut got a bit loose, thus the aluminum cap.
I don't think Pete has anymore extra parts, so finding one may be tough. I doubt Mike's has them. You might try contacting them.
Leo

Did some checking. Have some questions.
Which ignition does your PMA/ ignition come with? There seems to be two kits. One for the 70-79 bikes and one for the 80 up bikes.
If you bought the kit for a 70-79 bike it is set up to use the mechanical advance unit the points use.
The 80 up bikes didn't come with points so no advance unit. It was built in to the stock ignition. If this was the kit you bought it should come with a rod, some bushings and that cap and some hardware.
What year is your bike and what kit di you buy?
Leo

Did some checking. Have some questions.
Which ignition does your PMA/ ignition come with? There seems to be two kits. One for the 70-79 bikes and one for the 80 up bikes.
If you bought the kit for a 70-79 bike it is set up to use the mechanical advance unit the points use.
The 80 up bikes didn't come with points so no advance unit. It was built in to the stock ignition. If this was the kit you bought it should come with a rod, some bushings and that cap and some hardware.
What year is your bike and what kit di you buy?
Leo
I have an 83 heritage special, and bought the gen 2 standard ignition and all I’m missing is the dang cap

If I was reading the instructions properly from Mike's you have the wrong ignition. The standard ignition is for the older bikes and use the stock mechanical advance.
You need one with the electrical advance. This kit should come with all the parts you need.
Can you post a pics showing all the ignition parts that came in your kit? This might help figure out just what you have and what you might need.
The install the ignition you need the sensor plate to mount on the left side of the head. There should be two or three bushings that go in the cam, two on the advance side, one of the sensor plate side. The advance rod and the nuts and washers. The rotor goes on one end of this rod the cap on the other. Some pins to align the rotor on the rod, the cap on the rod and the cap to the cam.
Leo

I just went back and checked. The standard kit item #200-2922 is for the 70-79 bikes.
The E advance kit Item #200-2928 for the 80- 84 is the one you should have got.
If you go to mike's and look at the kits you can see the rod in the E advance kit and no rod in the standard kits. They happen to be out of the rods at the moment.
I would contact them and see if they have the cap. They have the bushing you need. You may find a rod somewhere else. Perhaps someone on here may have one they can spare.
On the bushings, on the advance side you need two because the hole the pin goes is has no bottom. You need the bushings to cover this hole so the pin will stay in place.
Leo

Several of the" original, real" pamco's through the years.
pamco through the years.jpg

Many Pamcos shipped with a 90 degree angle between magnets on the rotor, those 90 degree rotors will NOT work with the e-advance units.
Also note the advance rod needs a cam with bushings installed in the ends that it spins in. @CantGetRight what parts do you have? Pics?

I have the red standard ignition from mikes as well as their pma, I’ll include the pics I’ve already taken but I did have to buy the advance rod separately

Attachments

• 51F5F3ED-81B3-4F9E-B282-6F5117774187.png
    51F5F3ED-81B3-4F9E-B282-6F5117774187.png
    642.9 KB · Views: 105
Back