copper tube holding main jet?

austintylerr

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
im cleaning my bs38s off my 1980 and I cannot seem to get the copper tube that the main jet screws into out. I watched a tutorial and he used a sliver of wood but mine seems to be stuck in there pretty good. I know not to use steel as the copper is weaker. Any help or insight would be appreciated. i can upload pics if needed.

it is held tight by a small o-ring. wiggle it side to side and it will come out, but, sounds like your rubber o-ring is still in good shape. I would not take it out, unless you are dunking your carb body. replace ment rubber rings for that are not usually made as well as the original one, so you may consider leaving it in, unless the needle jet, also refered to an emulsion tube, is buggered up.

I'm thinking if the carbs are nasty (shit growing in the float bowl) it would be a good idea to get it out. If the little holes in the side of that tube are not clear, you'll have problems. Soak it in PB blaster or Kroil or something.
$0.02

I was planning on soaking them. The bike sat up for about 4 years. There wasn't really alot of gunk in the bowls, or main/pilot jets. But the diaphragm needle was stuck in there from pretty good. I had to use a screw driver underneath it to pry because I didn't want to tear the rubber boot.

then they sound like they need a dunkin'. that tube can be just wigggled ou. if the needle was jammed in there, the emulsion tube is prolly ruined too.

dont forget that there is seals around the shafts. take them out before you dunk. do you hve the carb guide?

): So much for quick easy cleanin....I think I'm going to email oldskoolcarbs and get a quote. Hopefully it won't cost me a fortune seeing as the only things holding up my build are these carbs, and purchasing my pamco.

im sure he knows wich carbs he has. He has walk thrus and links. 38's can be put on 80 and later. its just the boots that are different.
You do have 38's, rite??

:umm: I'm still struggling with "the copper tube holding the main jet on BS 38's" ?

perhaps a picture would help?

PS....I suspect you may be talking about " BS 38's " while looking at BS 34's OEM to XS 650's 1980 and later model years?
The main jet screws into the bottom of the float bowl behind the drain plug in a BS 38 carburetor. Check the attached.

Help us help you please. Blue

Attachments

• 2F0 Carb Metering.pdf
    702.8 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
..... and if they are BS34s, the needle jet comes out through the top of the carb, not from the bottom like in the BS38s. Also, it has no o-ring.

Let me get home tonight and ill upload a pic of the carb and what tube I was referring to so you guys can help. I reassembled it so as not to lose anything until I can get some sort of gameplan together.

Back